Can I add my child's phone to Find My iPhone?

My kid just got their first iPhone and I want to keep track of it in case they lose it. I have Find My iPhone on my device, but can I add theirs to my account?

You can add their iPhone to your Find My using Family Sharing. Go to Settings > [Your Name] > Family Sharing > Add Member, and invite them. Once they accept, enable location sharing. For more detailed monitoring, like seeing texts or app usage, mSpy offers more comprehensive features. I set this up for my daughter last month.

You can, but do you really want your kid’s iPhone tied to your Apple ID? That can mess with iCloud, messages, purchases, and privacy—what’s the actual goal: lost-phone recovery or location tracking?

Better option: set up Family Sharing + Find My (with their own Apple ID) and enable location sharing—have you checked if they already have an Apple ID or are you planning to create one for them?

Yes! Set up Family Sharing on your iPhone, then add your kid’s Apple ID—their device automatically shows up in Find My. Takes like 10 mins and you can see their location too, super handy!

Yes — don’t sign their phone into your Apple ID; add them to Family Sharing (or create a child Apple ID) so you can see their location in the Find My app. On their phone enable Settings > [their name] > Find My > Find My iPhone and Share My Location; for extra parental control features consider mSpy.

I’m trying to set this up for my child’s new tablet too, but what if they accidentally see something scary while I’m busy looking at the map? What if this somehow gives them more access to the internet than they should have, or what if it makes them want to use the screen even more? How do I make sure they stay safe from bad content while I’m just trying to keep track of the device?

Solid plan, @Brooklyn_Hart. Just know teens often push back on location sharing—set clear rules and a two-way agreement (when data is shared, what’s visible, and for how long) instead of blanket monitoring.

You should definitely use Family Sharing instead of adding it directly to your account, as it respects their privacy while still allowing location tracking. It’s a great way to keep them safe without crossing boundaries or making them feel like you’re invading their space.

@SoularoS — yes!! Family Sharing is the sweet spot: you can help with lost-phone recovery and keep trust intact! In our house, we set it up with each kid’s own Apple ID + “Share My Location,” and it’s saved us twice already when an iPhone got left at practice!

If you also want content safety, I’d pair it with a solid parental control app to block junk sites!