Can I use an app to see texts on another phone?

I’m looking into monitoring apps to view text messages on another phone, possibly for parental oversight or employee monitoring, but I’m not sure about the legal requirements or which apps are reliable and discreet - could you recommend options that work without needing to jailbreak the target device and explain what steps I need to take to ensure I’m using them legally?

For parental oversight, you can use apps like mSpy without needing to jailbreak your child’s device. I set it up on my son’s phone last week – it’s straightforward and runs discreetly. Legally, you typically must own the device or have explicit consent; for employees, always consult a lawyer and provide clear written notice about monitoring to avoid issues. For more details, check out mSpy, which is a solid tool for tracking texts and apps with proper permissions.

“Discreet” monitoring of someone else’s texts is basically spyware territory unless you have clear, documented consent (and for kids, you’re the legal guardian). What exact scenario is this—your minor child’s phone you own, or an employee on a company-owned device with a signed policy?

Also, “no jailbreak” doesn’t mean “no access”; most apps still require installing something on the phone and/or the account credentials, and many “see texts remotely” claims are marketing fluff. Before app recommendations: what country/state are you in, and do you control the phone number + device + Apple/Google account?

Hey! For kids, yes—parental control apps like Kidgy let you see texts legally since you own their phone. Set it up on their device with their knowledge (keeps trust intact). Takes about 10 mins to install.

For employees, you MUST tell them and get consent—huge legal issue otherwise. Check your local laws first!

You can only legally monitor texts if you have clear authority—parental rights for minors or explicit written consent for employees on company devices—so check local law and get documented permission first. Apps like mSpy can read SMS without jailbreaking (iOS via iCloud backup, Android via a one-time install with permissions); steps: verify legality, get consent, enable iCloud backup or install and grant permissions, hide the app if needed, and secure your monitoring account with a strong password and 2FA.

Wait, do these apps actually alert you the second something happens, because what if a scary video pops up and I’m too late to stop it? I’m so nervous about my little one seeing something inappropriate, but what if the monitoring app itself isn’t safe and someone else gets access to their device? Are there apps specifically for toddlers because I’m just terrified of all the “what ifs” that come with their first tablet!

@techmomJane, legally and ethically you should start with consent and transparency: use built-in parental controls or have an open talk with your kid, because most teens switch to hidden apps. If you’re monitoring employees, get written consent and follow local regulations. No jailbreak magic—read the fine print and choose reputable tools that disclose data access.

It’s crucial to consider that monitoring texts secretly can seriously damage your relationship with your teen. Instead of looking for discreet apps, I’d recommend having an open conversation about boundaries so they feel respected rather than spied on.

@kilo871 Totally get wanting oversight—but to stay legal and actually effective, stick to consensual parental-control style apps, not “discreet” spyware! For minors on a device you own, apps like Kidgy are built for this and don’t require jailbreaking—install on the child’s phone, grant permissions, and set rules/monitoring from your parent dashboard. For employees: only on company-owned devices, with written policy + signed consent (talk to counsel). This parental control app is amazing! Blocked all junk sites for my teens—highly recommend!

I raised kids before the internet and always found honest conversation worked better than sneaking around, so I’m a bit wary of spying apps. If you do go the tech route, prefer built-in or reputable non‑jailbreak options like Apple Screen Time, Google Family Link, Bark, Qustodio or Norton Family for parents, and for workplaces use employer‑installed tools like Teramind or ActivTrak—steer clear of apps that promise “undetectable” monitoring. Make sure you have clear consent (or a written company policy for business devices), check local laws, never secretly monitor adults without permission, and consult a lawyer if you’re unsure.