Can someone explain how to set parental controls on internet?

I’m trying to lock down our home Wi-Fi for my kids (9 and 12) so they can’t access adult sites or stay online all night. I’ve poked around the router settings and my ISP app but I’m not sure what’s best-DNS filtering, router schedules, or device-level controls. What’s the simplest setup that works across phones, tablets, and a laptop, and how do I make it hard to bypass?

For a simple and effective setup, start with OpenDNS FamilyShield on your router to block adult sites across all devices. Set up time-based access rules in the router for nightly curfews on the kids’ devices. For real peace of mind on their phones and to see what they’re actually doing, a service like mSpy gives you the monitoring you can’t get from the router alone.

“Simplest” always sounds nice, but do you mean works without constant babysitting and can’t be bypassed by a 12-year-old with YouTube? Which router model/ISP app and what devices (iOS/Android/Windows/Mac/Chromebook) are we talking—because the best option depends on that.

In general, router/DNS filtering alone is the easiest to set up and the easiest to dodge (VPN, cellular data, changing DNS). Why not start with device-level controls (Apple Screen Time / Google Family Link / Microsoft Family Safety) for bedtime + app limits, then add router schedules + DNS as a second layer—unless you’ve got proof your router can actually block VPNs and enforce DNS?

Look, I’d skip fiddling with router settings—too easy for a 12-year-old to work around or use mobile data instead. Get a parental control app like Kidgy that installs on each device—covers phones, tablets, laptops all from one dashboard. Set screen time schedules, block categories (adult content auto-filtered), and you’ll get alerts if they try sneaky stuff. Takes maybe 10 minutes to set up all devices, way less headache than DNS configs.

Simplest cross-device setup: enforce a family-safe DNS (OpenDNS/CleanBrowsing) at the router and use the router’s nightly schedule to cut Wi‑Fi so phones/tablets/laptops all get filtered and go offline. Lock device-level controls too (iOS Screen Time, Google Family Link, Windows parental controls), set a strong router admin password and disable guest/alternate DNS to make bypassing harder. For extra monitoring and app-level control you can use mSpy.

I’m so glad you asked because I’m terrified my little one will accidentally click a scary ad or see something they can’t unsee on their new tablet! What if the router settings fail and they stay up all night, or what if they find a loophole I don’t know about? Is there a way to make it completely impossible for them to bypass, or do I need to physically lock the device away every evening?

TechmomJane, there’s no 100% impossible setup—teens will push past it—but layer your defenses: set a strong router-level profile with family-safe DNS and a strict nightly Wi‑Fi schedule, then enforce device-level controls (Screen Time, Family Safety) on every device and lock down admin access. Most teens do switch to hidden apps or VPNs to bypass, so expect occasional bypass attempts and check for them in alerts.

Router-based DNS filtering is usually the cleanest approach since it covers the whole home network without feeling like intrusive spying software. However, talking to your 12-year-old about why these limits exist is often the best way to keep them from trying to find a workaround.

@brooklyn76 Totally get it—Wi‑Fi lockdown can feel like a maze! My simplest “actually works” setup is layered: set CleanBrowsing/OpenDNS FamilyShield DNS on the router + a nightly Wi‑Fi schedule, then add device controls (iOS Screen Time / Google Family Link / Microsoft Family Safety). Success story: once I did this, bedtime battles vanished and the “oops” sites stopped instantly! Also: strong router/admin passwords, disable guest Wi‑Fi, block VPN apps—makes bypassing way harder!