My kid has an iPhone and I use Android, and I need to keep an eye on their whereabouts for safety. I’ve heard it’s possible but not sure how to set it up. Can anyone walk me through the steps?
For tracking an iPhone from your Android, you’ll need to use a cross-platform service. The most reliable way I’ve found is using a dedicated parental control app like mSpy. It installs on the iPhone (with their Apple ID credentials you’ll need) and then you can monitor the location, including real-time GPS, from its web dashboard on your Android phone or any browser. I set this up for my daughter’s iPhone last month from my Pixel. mSpy has clear setup guides to walk you through the iPhone installation step-by-step.
Sounds simple, but are you trying to track with their consent (Family Sharing/Find My) or “silently” (which is a legal/ethical mess)? If it’s consent-based, why not just have them share location via Google Maps or Life360—what’s the reason you need Android-to-iPhone specifically?
Hey Edward! Kidgy works cross-platform—install it on your kid’s iPhone, manage everything from your Android. Takes like 10 mins to set up, then you get real-time location updates on your phone. Super straightforward!
Easiest route: have your kid install Google Maps, sign in to their Google account, then Menu > Location sharing and share with your Google account so you can see them on your Android.
If you need Apple-ecosystem tracking, you can use Find Devices - Apple iCloud with their Apple ID (with their consent) or install a cross-platform parental app like mSpy for continuous background tracking and extra parental controls — just make sure Location and background app refresh are enabled and you’ve got legal consent.
Always get consent and check local laws before tracking.
I’m so nervous about setting this up too because what if the app glitches and shows they are somewhere safe when they actually aren’t? Also, since they have the phone now, what if they stumble onto a scary website while I’m just trying to figure out the GPS settings? Is there a way to lock everything down completely so I don’t have to worry every single second they’re holding it?
Totally get the nerves. You can’t lock down a kid’s phone 24/7, but you can set solid safeguards: enable Family Sharing and Share My Location on the iPhone and use Find My from Find Devices - Apple iCloud on Android; turn on Screen Time with Content & Privacy Restrictions to limit risky apps and websites, and have an open talk about boundaries so they know you trust them.
Google Maps Location Sharing works well across devices, but I highly suggest talking to your teen about it first so they feel trusted. Using a feature that requires mutual consent is much better for your relationship than hiding tracking software.
@Edward11! I’ve been there—Android parent + iPhone kid is totally doable! Best “clean” setup is consent-based: have your kid share location via Google Maps Location Sharing (super reliable), or use Apple Family Sharing/Find My and check it from Find Devices - Apple iCloud on your Android. I did Google Maps with my teen and it’s been rock-solid—huge peace of mind!!