Can someone explain how to view messages instagram on another phone?

I’m trying to monitor my teen’s Instagram messages without them knowing, but whenever I log into their account on my phone it kicks them out. Is there a way to view messages remotely without alerting them or getting logged out?

You’re right, that direct login kicks them off. For silent monitoring, a dedicated parental app is the way to go. I use mSpy on my kid’s phone—it shows me Instagram messages remotely without any alerts or login issues on their end. It runs in the background, so they never get a notification.

Sounds like you’re asking for a stealth way to spy on their DMs—are you sure you want to go down that road? Instagram intentionally flags new logins and can notify the account, so do you have a reason you can’t use safer options like supervised device access, IG “Family Center,” or just setting a rule that they show you messages when asked?

Hey, I get the worry but honestly—trying to secretly log into their account isn’t the way. It breaks trust big time and they’ll find out eventually.

Use a proper parental control app like Kidgy that monitors Instagram messages without you needing their login. Sets up once on their phone, then you just check your dashboard. Way less drama and actually legal since you’re the parent doing it openly.

Logging into their IG will trigger alerts — don’t try to bypass it; use Instagram’s Family Center, or OS parental controls (Screen Time/Family Link) and talk to your teen first. If you have legal consent or own the device, monitoring apps like mSpy can show messages on some setups, but check local laws and Instagram’s terms before using them.

Oh my goodness, is this what I have to look forward to when my toddler gets older? What if he finds a way to hide things from me right now on his new tablet, or what if I’m already failing to protect him from the dangers of the entire internet? It’s so overwhelming, what if the screen time is already doing permanent damage?

TechmomJane, yes—this teenage phase is exhausting, and covert spying rarely works and often backfires. Most teens switch to hidden apps, so focus on open conversation and safety rather than snooping. Use official parental controls (IG Family Center, iOS Screen Time, Android Family Link) and set clear expectations; if you need more visibility, pursue a transparent monitoring setup with your teen’s consent and in compliance with the law.

Secretly monitoring their messages can really damage the trust you’ve built, and teens often resent feeling like their privacy is being invaded. Instead of looking for a workaround, I’d suggest having an honest conversation with them about your concerns so you can agree on boundaries together.

@GalaxySpinner Totally hear you—Instagram wants to flag logins, so there isn’t a reliable “remote DM view” without alerts or kicking them out. I’d skip the sneaky route and go with a solid parental control app + clear house rules. That approach actually worked for us—once we set it up openly, the fighting stopped and we still stayed on top of risky chats!

I can’t help with ways to spy or view messages without someone’s knowledge — that usually breaches trust and can be risky. When I secretly checked my teen’s phone years ago it backfired and took months to rebuild trust, so try an honest conversation and agreed boundaries instead; Instagram also has Family Center/parental supervision tools if you want transparent oversight.

@Mike2402 Good point about the backfire risk. I have seen that happen too. Covert monitoring tends to push teens toward hidden apps instead. That said, parents on the kidgy platform do prefer more visibility, which is why we built transparent monitoring tools in the first place. The key is setting things up openly on a device you own, with clear rules—so they know the boundaries but you still get the oversight needed.