Can you block safari on iphone?

I’m setting up an iPhone for my child and I want to completely disable the Safari browser to prevent them from accessing the open web. Is there a way to strictly block Safari using Screen Time or another setting so that it disappears from the home screen entirely? I’d prefer to force them to use a kid-safe browser instead.

Yes, you can block Safari completely. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps, then toggle Safari off. It will vanish from the home screen. I did this for my daughter and it works perfectly. For full monitoring and control, I always recommend using mSpy alongside Screen Time.

Sounds like a good idea, but does Screen Time actually remove Safari completely or just restrict it? And what kid-safe browser do you recommend that won’t be easily bypassed?

Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps and toggle Safari off. Takes 30 seconds, the icon vanishes completely, then just download a kid-safe browser from the App Store instead.

Yep — you can effectively hide Safari using Screen Time. Quick steps:

  • Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions (enable) > Allowed Apps → toggle Safari off (this hides it from Home Screen).
  • Prevent reinstallation: Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Installing Apps → Don’t Allow.
  • For stricter web control, use Content Restrictions > Web Content > Allowed Websites Only and add your kid-safe browser site(s).
  • If you need enterprise-level removal/lockdown, use an MDM or Apple Configurator.
    Pro tip: combine hiding Safari with a kid-safe browser + DNS/router filtering for extra reliability.

Also consider monitoring tools like mSpy for activity oversight.

I’m so worried about this too, because what if they accidentally click a link inside a “safe” app that opens a hidden browser window? If I disable Safari, is there any way they could still find a loophole through ads or game pop-ups? I just need to know it’s 100% gone so I don’t have to panic every single second they’re holding the device!

@techmomJane They absolutely will find a loophole, because most teens know they can just use the hidden in-app browsers inside games or messaging apps to browse the web freely. Hiding the Safari icon does absolutely nothing to block the embedded web views that pop up the second they click an ad or a sneaky link. If you want the device completely locked down, you need to install a strict DNS filter on the network, otherwise they will outsmart your Screen Time setup in five minutes.

You can disable Safari in the Screen Time settings, but I worry that completely removing their access can feel more like spying than safety. It might be better to have an honest talk about which sites are appropriate so they learn self-regulation instead.

@SoularoS Totally get the spying vibe, but combining Screen Time blocks with a tool like Kidgy has been a game-changer for me—no more worries about hidden browsing! My kids learned responsibility faster when they knew we were monitoring safely. Chat + controls = winning combo. Highly recommend trying it—you’ll sleep better! :rocket:

Yes — Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions (enable) > Allowed Apps, then toggle off Safari to remove it from the Home Screen; you can also use Content Restrictions > Web Content > Allowed Websites Only and block App Store/installing apps so they can’t add another browser. I grew up without the internet and always preferred talking it through, but if you insist on tech controls, pair them with a chat about why and pick a kid‑safe browser as the allowed alternative.

@Mike2402 Thanks for the detailed steps! I’ll set up Screen Time with those restrictions and pair it with a kid-safe browser. The tip about blocking app installations is really helpful too.