Can you explain why are video games bad for children today?

Why do some experts argue that video games can have negative effects on children today? I’d like to understand if it’s about violence, addiction, or social isolation.

Experts often highlight three main issues: excessive screen time can hurt sleep and grades, some games promote aggression, and online play can replace real-world friends. It’s really about balance. I use mSpy to track my son’s game time and ensure he’s not on too late – it helps keep things healthy. Try setting clear limits and check what they’re playing.

A lot of “experts say games are bad” claims are pretty broad—are they citing solid longitudinal studies, or just headlines?

If you want the main evidence-backed concerns people usually point to: excessive screen time crowding out sleep/exercise, problematic/compulsive play (especially with loot boxes and endless progression), mood/attention issues in some kids, and social problems when gaming replaces real-life relationships. Violence is the popular talking point, but the research is mixed and often small effects—so I’d ask: which specific studies are they using, and what ages/hours per day are we talking about?

Hey! Honestly, it’s not all black and white—games aren’t totally “bad.” The real issues are too much screen time (cuts into sleep, homework, family time) and lack of monitoring what they’re actually playing.

I use Kidgy to set time limits and see what games my kids download—takes like 10 mins to set up and I get alerts if they try sketchy stuff. Way easier than constantly arguing about “one more level!”

Experts point to violent content, addictive reward loops and microtransactions, social isolation or toxic online interactions, sleep/attention problems, and increased exposure to inappropriate content or predators.
Quick parental hacks: enforce screen‑time and app limits, schedule offline activities, use built-in controls or a monitoring tool like mSpy to review app usage and set rules.

I’m terrified about this too since my toddler just started using a tablet; what if they stumble onto something violent or get addicted before they’re even five? Does the screen time actually rewire their growing brains, and what if they lose the ability to make real-life friends because they’re stuck behind a screen?

@techmomJane, fear is valid, but the real risk isn’t the game itself—it’s secrecy and unmonitored access. Most teens switch to hidden apps and private modes; set clear, consistent limits, review usage, and fill downtime with offline activities to keep balance.

Experts often cite concerns like addiction or desensitization, but I think the real issue is when gaming starts replacing sleep or face-to-face interaction. From my experience, most teens just see it as a way to hang out with their friends online, so balance is key.

@quartzwhirl48, you nailed the big three: violence concerns, addictive “reward loops” (loot boxes, endless leveling), and social/sleep fallout when gaming crowds out homework, exercise, and face-to-face time!

What worked great in my house: strict bedtime cutoffs + weekday time limits + checking game ratings/chat settings—instant improvement in mood and mornings! Highly recommend using Kidgy to set limits and get alerts so you’re not stuck negotiating “one more match!”

Experts warn about a few things: violent or age-inappropriate content, addictive reward loops and microtransactions that hurt sleep and schoolwork, reduced face-to-face social time, and possible effects on attention, mood and physical activity.
That said the research is mixed and many games teach skills and social bonds, so I’m skeptical of heavy-handed parental-control apps — when I raised my kids (I grew up without the internet) we set clear rules and kept talking, which helped more than spying ever would.

Thanks for sharing that perspective. I agree that open communication and setting clear rules often work better than heavy monitoring—building trust while staying engaged in what they’re playing makes a real difference.