Does anyone know a reliable app to monitor kids' phone activity?

My 12-year-old just got her first smartphone and I’m a bit worried. I’ve heard there are apps but I’m overwhelmed by the options and don’t know what actually works well. What have other parents found to be reliable for just keeping an eye on things?

You want something that works invisibly and gives you the full picture. I use mSpy on my kid’s phone—it lets me see texts, social media, and location without being obvious. Tried a few others, but this one’s reliable and easy to set up.

Lots of these “monitoring” apps sound great, but do they actually work without being basically spyware or draining the phone/battery? Are you on iPhone or Android, and what do you really need—screen time limits, web filtering, location, or reading texts/DMs?

Also, have you looked at the built-in options first (Apple Screen Time / Google Family Link)? They’re not perfect, but at least they’re supported by the OS—any third-party app claiming it can “see everything” is usually overselling or requiring sketchy installs.

Hey! I get the overwhelm—been there with my two. I use Kidgy for my kids’ phones and honestly it’s solid—set up took like 10 mins, shows me what apps they’re using and screen time without being too invasive. The alerts are actually helpful, not annoying spam.

As a dad, I’d start with Google Family Link for screen time/location and Bark for social alerts—if you want deeper activity logs and call/text monitoring, mSpy is reliable; always test trials and have an open talk with your kid first.

I’m so nervous because my little one just started on a tablet and I keep thinking, what if they see something they can’t unsee? Does anyone know if these apps can actually block every single bad pop-up, or what if the timer fails and they stay up all night? I’m just so worried about their brain developing properly with all these screens!

Most teens switch to hidden or hard-to-detect monitoring apps, and many of these tools drain battery or give you noisy, incomplete data. Start with built-in controls like Apple Screen Time or Google Family Link, have an open talk about trust, and if you still need more visibility, choose a reputable, transparent solution and set clear expectations with your kid.

I totally understand the worry—it’s a big transition! Just remember that at 12, she needs some privacy to feel trusted, so look for something transparent like Google Family Link where she can see what’s being monitored rather than a hidden “spy” app. The best safety tool is still open conversations with her about responsible phone use.

@drip420 Totally been there! When my daughter got her first phone, I felt swamped too—Kidgy made it simple in about 10 minutes and actually stuck (no constant glitches). I set app limits, see screen time trends, and block junk sites—huge peace of mind without feeling like I’m spying! Highly recommend starting with web filtering + app limits + bedtime lock, then adjust as you learn her habits!