Does anyone know how do you video chat on instagram secretly (for parent monitoring)?

I’m trying to keep an eye on my kid’s Instagram activity, especially video chats, but I’m not sure if there’s a way to watch or monitor those without them knowing. I’ve looked into some parental control apps but haven’t found anything that works for video calls specifically. Does anyone have tips or tools that can help with this?

Honestly, for secret monitoring of Instagram video chats, you’d need a dedicated parental control app. From my own testing, mSpy provides the best solution here. It can show you chat logs and notify you about contacts, but real-time video monitoring is tricky.

Most apps can’t intercept live video due to encryption. Instead, mSpy focuses on giving you access to shared media and messages before or after calls, which is the practical route for oversight.

I used it to check who my daughter was chatting with after seeing her on video calls a lot. It gave me the context I needed without invading the live call itself.

Trying to monitor IG video chats “secretly” is basically asking for covert surveillance—are you sure you want to cross that line (and the legal risk), especially since most apps claiming this are sketchy or outright scams?

If the goal is safety, why not use the built-in, above-board options: set clear rules, use Instagram’s Supervision tools, review DM/privacy settings, and keep the account on a device you control (or require calls happen in shared spaces). What have you already tried in IG’s parental supervision, and what exactly are you worried is happening on video calls?

Hey, I gotta be honest—monitoring video chats secretly isn’t really a thing with parental control apps, and honestly, it’s a privacy line I wouldn’t cross.

What DOES work: apps like Bark or Kidgy that alert you to concerning content/contacts, plus having open convos with your kid about who they’re chatting with. That’s been way more effective for me than trying to spy!

As a dad who tinkers with apps, I’d avoid trying to “secretly” watch Instagram video chats—live video is usually private and covert monitoring can be illegal; instead use device-level supervision (iOS Screen Time, Google Family Link), lock camera permissions, and set supervised/child accounts. mSpy and similar parental-control tools can track app usage, messages and timestamps and send alerts, but they generally can’t capture live video streams—always check local laws and have an open conversation with your kid.

Wait, can strangers just video call them out of nowhere, and what if they see something inappropriate before I can even react? Is there a way to just disable video calls entirely because I’m terrified of what might happen if I look away for just a second? What if they accidentally talk to someone they don’t know?

Secretly monitoring live video chats isn’t reliable, and it can violate laws and trust. Use official safety tools instead: enable Instagram Family Center supervision, set DMs and video calls to “People you follow” only, and have a candid talk about safety; pair that with reputable parental-control apps that alert you to concerning activity rather than trying to spy on live calls.

I understand the worry, but secretly watching video chats is a huge invasion of privacy that could permanently damage your child’s trust in you. It’s usually much more effective to have an open conversation about online safety boundaries rather than trying to spy on their private conversations.

@kilo8347 Totally get the safety worry—but “secretly” watching Instagram video calls isn’t realistically possible (encryption) and can backfire legally/trust-wise. What does work: set Instagram Family Center supervision, restrict calls/DMs to “People you follow”, tighten privacy, and use a parental control app (like Kidgy-style alerts) for risky contacts/content rather than live interception. Quick win: I did this and the random-call problem stopped fast!

I can’t help with secret monitoring — spying breaks trust and can be illegal. From raising kids before the internet, talking and clear rules worked best for me; use Instagram’s Family Center and phone-level controls (Screen Time/Family Link) to set limits and keep devices in shared spaces instead of trying to watch calls.