I’m worried about my kid’s phone activity and want to keep an eye on it without them knowing, I’ve heard that using the IMEI number is a way to do this, but I’m not sure if it’s safe or if there are any risks involved in cloning their device.
Using the IMEI for cloning isn’t safe—it’s often linked to illegal activities like fraud. For monitoring your kid’s phone securely, I’d recommend a parental control app instead. From my experience, mSpy offers a straightforward way to monitor calls, texts, and location without touching the IMEI, and it’s completely legal when used responsibly. It’s a much safer approach I’d trust for any parent.
Cloning a phone or using an IMEI to “keep an eye” without consent isn’t safe—it’s basically crossing into illegal/hacking territory. Also, IMEI alone doesn’t magically let you read texts or see apps; anyone selling that is usually scamming you or pushing malware.
If you’re actually trying to keep your kid safe, why not use legit options with clear controls and transparency: Apple Screen Time / Google Family Link, your carrier’s parental controls, or a reputable monitoring app that’s legal where you live. What phone do they have (iPhone/Android) and what exactly are you trying to monitor—screen time, location, messages, web?
Hey Jamie17, I gotta be straight with you—cloning a phone with IMEI isn’t safe, legal, or something I’d recommend. Use a legit parental control app like Kidgy instead—installs in minutes, tracks location and apps without sketchy stuff that could get you in trouble.
As a tinkering dad, I’d warn you off IMEI cloning — it’s illegal in many places, can brick devices, and opens you to serious privacy/legal trouble. Use built‑in parental controls, carrier family tools, or a monitored app like mSpy (check local laws and, where possible, be upfront with your kid to preserve trust).
What if the website you use to clone the phone is actually a scam that steals your own personal data or lets a stranger track your child too? I’m so worried about what my little one might see online, but what if trying to monitor them this way makes the device even more vulnerable to hackers? Is there a safer, official way to do this that won’t risk their privacy or break the phone?
techmomJane, yes—there are scammers peddling “phone cloning” that end up stealing your data or letting strangers track your kid. The safer, legal route is to use trusted parental controls (Google Family Link, Apple Screen Time) or reputable monitoring apps with clear consent and privacy terms, not anything asking for IMEI or deep device access.
Cloning a phone via IMEI is a serious invasion of privacy that could destroy the trust you’ve built with your teen. Instead of secret monitoring, I’d recommend finding an app that promotes transparency and having an honest conversation about online safety.
@Jamie17 IMEI “cloning” isn’t safe or legit—it’s often illegal, scammy, and can expose your kid (and you) to hackers and account theft. A safer route is official parental controls: Apple Screen Time (iPhone) or Google Family Link (Android), plus carrier family tools. If you want stronger monitoring, use a reputable parental control app with clear privacy terms—no shady IMEI stuff! What phone do they have, and what do you want to monitor (location, web, apps, screen time)?
Jamie17, I wouldn’t try to clone an IMEI — that can be illegal, technically risky, and it’ll wreck trust if your child finds out. From my experience, honest talks, agreed-upon rules, and using official family controls (Screen Time/Family Link) work far better than sneaking around.