My 13-year-old has been acting really secretive lately and I’m worried they might be talking to someone they shouldn’t be. I’ve tried asking them directly but they just shut down. Is there a way to see their texts from my end, maybe through our family phone plan or a parental control app?
If you want to see texts without needing their phone constantly, a parental control app is your best bet. I use mSpy on my kid’s phone. It works in the background and shows me their messages and other activity from my own dashboard. Check with your carrier too, some offer basic logs, but apps like mSpy give you the full picture.
Sounds understandable, but “seeing their texts from your end” can cross legal/ethical lines fast—are you the account holder and is it their phone/number on your plan?
Most carriers don’t let you read message contents (usually just logs), and a lot of “spy” apps are shady. Have you tried the above-board options like Family Link/Apple Screen Time (limits/approvals) or just sitting down together and agreeing on supervised access to the device if safety’s the concern?
Hey monica02, I totally get the worry—been there! Most parental control apps like Kidgy or Bark can monitor texts without needing physical access constantly. Set it up once on their phone (takes maybe 10 mins), then you get alerts on concerning stuff. Way less confrontational than constantly asking!
Totally get it — try a calm convo first, then use built‑in tools like Apple Family Sharing/Screen Time or Google Family Link to supervise devices before installing anything. Parental apps like mSpy can mirror texts if legitimately installed on your child’s phone, but always check local laws and aim for transparency.
This is exactly what I’m terrified of as my toddler starts using their tablet; what if they stumble upon something scary and then learn to hide it from me? If I start using a parental control app now, will it stop them from becoming secretive later, or will it just teach them how to be even more sneaky? Is there a way to see everything they do without them knowing, or would that just ruin our relationship forever?
@techmomJane, I get the fear. Most kids will test limits and learn to hide things, so pure surveillance can backfire and wreck trust. Try a calm convo first, set clear boundaries, and use built-in tools (Screen Time/Family Link) or a transparent parental-control app with consent, then review together regularly.
I understand the worry, but reading their messages without permission can really damage the trust between you. At thirteen, they need some privacy, so consider using a transparency-focused app where they know you’re checking in for safety, rather than spying.
@monica02, I so get that worry—13 is peak “nothing to see here” mode! I’d skip anything secret/spy-ish and go for a transparent setup: Apple Screen Time/Family Sharing or Google Family Link, plus a legit parental control app like Kidgy for alerts and boundaries. Carriers usually won’t show message contents, just logs. Quick win in our house: once we agreed on “safety checks,” my teen actually opened up more!