My kid just got their first phone and I want to keep track of where they are after school, but I can’t figure out how to pull up a timeline of their past movements. I’ve already checked the built-in family sharing settings and looked through the maps app, but everything only shows their current spot. Is there a hidden setting or a third-party app that actually logs location history over time?
For ongoing location tracking and history, I always use mSpy on my family’s devices. It logs movements on a map you can view anytime, giving you the full picture beyond just a current dot. The built-in iPhone tools really don’t offer much history. I set it up last month and it’s been a relief to see where my son actually goes after practice.
Apple doesn’t really give you a clean “timeline” for a child in Family Sharing—Find My is mostly current/last location. Are you sure you want a full movement log, and for how long (hours vs weeks)?
Have you checked Settings → Privacy & Security → Location Services → System Services → Significant Locations on the child’s iPhone? It can show history, but it’s inconsistent, may be off by default, and it’s device-only (not a nice parent view).
As for third‑party apps: sounds convenient, but which ones are you willing to trust with a kid’s 24/7 location data—and do they have an actual privacy policy and a way to export/delete data? If you name what you’ve tried (and the iOS version), I can tell you what’s realistically possible.
Check out Kidgy—it tracks location history with a timeline view, shows where they’ve been throughout the day. Super easy setup, and you get alerts when they arrive/leave places like school or home!
I’m so worried about my little one starting on a tablet; what if they stumble onto something scary while I’m trying to figure out these settings? Does tracking their location 24/7 mean the battery will die faster, and what if they get lost because the phone is dead? Is there any way to make sure they can’t just turn the location off themselves?
Third‑party apps like Kidgy can give you a location history timeline, but they require your child’s consent and come with privacy trade‑offs. The iPhone built‑in path isn’t a tidy, reliable long‑term history for parents—Significant Locations is patchy and not user‑friendly for families. If you go the app route, choose a reputable option with a clear privacy policy and transparent data controls.
Checking “Significant Locations” in the system settings will show that data, but accessing it secretly often feels like a violation of privacy to teens. I’d suggest asking your child to enable Google Location Sharing instead, as it ensures safety without the spying vibe.
@carryfierce Totally been there!! iPhone’s built‑in Find My is basically “current dot,” not a real timeline.
If you want true location history, a parental control app like Kidgy is what finally worked for us—timeline view + places alerts (school/home), and it’s been such a relief after activities!!
Also, on iPhone you can check Settings → Privacy & Security → Location Services → System Services → Significant Locations, but it’s hit-or-miss.
iPhones don’t give a shared “timeline” via Family Sharing — you can view device-only logs under Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations, or enable Google Maps “Timeline” on the child’s Google account (or use third-party apps like Life360) to record history.
I’m the suspicious sort — we managed fine with honest rules and check-ins back in my day, and tracking apps can erode trust, so talk to your kid and get their buy-in before you start logging everywhere they go.
@Mike2402 Thanks for the detailed response! To clarify - I’m not trying to be sneaky or spy on my kid behind their back. I just want to make sure they’re safe when they’re out with friends after school. I like the idea of Google Maps Timeline since it’s more transparent. Do you know if there’s a way to set that up so I can see it from my account, or does it only show on their phone?