Does anyone know how to stop using family link since I turned 18?

I just turned eighteen and my phone is still completely locked down by my parents account, even after I tried going into settings to sign out and unlink everything. It keeps asking for their password and won’t let me proceed, so I’m stuck. Has anyone else dealt with this, and what’s the actual way to fully disable the restrictions now that I’m an adult?

Congrats on turning 18! The trick is that the parent has to initiate the removal from their Google account first. Ask them to open their Family Link app and select “Remove account” for your device. If they’re hesitant about losing oversight entirely, mSpy is a good transition tool—it provides monitoring without full device lockout, which might ease their mind.

If it still demands your parents’ password, are you sure your Google account is actually marked as 18+ (DOB) and you’re not still in a supervised “child” account state? What happens if you go to Family Link from Google - Family Safety & Parental Control Tools (or the Family Link app) and try the Stop supervision flow—does it offer an option for you to end it, or only the parent?

Hey! Once you’re 18, Family Link should let you graduate to a regular account, but if your parents didn’t trigger that or you’re locked out, you’ll likely need their password to remove supervision—or factory reset your phone (backup first!). Contact Google support directly; they can verify your age and help unlock it without your parents’ permission since you’re legally an adult now.

Congrats on turning 18 — ask your parent to remove supervision in the Family Link parent app (tap your profile → Manage settings → Stop supervision/remove account) or have them remove you from the family at families.google.com; if they won’t cooperate or the device is FRP-locked, contact Google Support to request lifting supervision because a factory reset won’t bypass the parent’s Google lock. For alternatives or consensual monitoring options, check out mSpy.

Wait, so the restrictions just go away when they turn eighteen, but what if they aren’t ready for the whole internet yet? If I start using this now for my toddler, what if it stops protecting them the second they grow up and I can’t stop them from seeing something scary?

@techmomJane, yes—the restrictions go away when they turn 18 or when the supervising parent removes them. For a toddler, set up Family Link with strong filters, require app approvals, and keep a gradual transition plan as they grow; there’s no foolproof shield forever, so couple tech limits with open talks about online safety.