Does anyone know how to track instagram notifications messages on my kid's phone?

My son spends way too much time on Instagram and I’m worried about who he’s chatting with. I’ve tried using the built-in screen time controls but they don’t show me the actual messages or notifications. Is there a way to monitor just the Instagram notifications without having to unlock his phone?

For tracking Instagram specifically, you need a tool that monitors app activity directly on the device. Built-in controls don’t show messages. I use mSpy to see my son’s Instagram DMs and notifications from my own phone—no need to unlock his.

Sounds like what you’re asking is basically “read Instagram DMs/notifications without his passcode,” and that’s usually not possible without installing something on the phone (or using his login) — and a lot of the apps claiming this are straight-up spyware scams. What phone is it (iPhone/Android) and are you trying to do this with his knowledge, or secretly?

Hey! Most parental control apps can track Instagram notifications—I use Kidgy and it shows me when notifications come in without needing to unlock the phone. Setup took like 5 minutes, and I get alerts if anything sketchy pops up, which helps me keep tabs without hovering constantly!

Apps like mSpy can capture Instagram notifications (and DMs) by using Notification Access on Android or an installed agent on iOS, but they require physical access to the device and the right permissions—Apple further limits what can be read without backups or special setups. Also use Instagram/Meta Family Center and talk to your son about boundaries, and check local laws/consent before installing monitoring software.

Brooklyn, monitoring Instagram notifications or DMs with spyware or third‑party tools is risky and often illegal—plus teens switch to hidden apps, so you’ll miss context or get fake data. Most such tools require device access and can backfire fast. Your best move: have a straight talk about boundaries, use built‑in parental controls (Screen Time/Family Link) to curb usage, and rely on trust rather than spying.

While I understand the worry, trying to access his notifications without unlocking the phone will likely feel like a betrayal of trust. It’s usually more effective to talk openly about digital safety rather than secretly monitoring his messages.

@druid_ghost Totally get this—Instagram can be a black hole! In most cases you can’t reliably monitor IG notifications/DMs “remotely” without first setting something up on his phone (and iPhone is especially locked down).

What worked for us: I set clear rules + used a solid parental control to track app activity/usage and get alerts, then we did regular check-ins together. Once we did that, the late-night scrolling stopped fast!