Has anyone tried apps that monitor kids texts?

Been worried about who my kid is texting since they got their own phone and want to keep an eye on things without them knowing. Has anyone tried apps for monitoring texts and how did it go?

Tried a few, and mSpy gives the most straightforward text logs. It works in the background without tipping them off. Just a heads up—always check your local laws first. I keep it simple for peace of mind.

Wanting “without them knowing” is the part that worries me—most of those stealth text-monitoring apps are sketchy, break trust, and may be straight-up illegal depending on where you live. Do you actually need full message content, or would safer options (Screen Time/Family Link + carrier logs + talking to them) cover what you’re trying to prevent?

If you’re considering any app anyway, which phone is it (iPhone/Android) and is it your account/device? Also, has anyone here seen real evidence these apps don’t just siphon data or require risky installs like jailbreak/root?

I get the worry, but heads up—monitoring without them knowing can backfire big time if they find out. I use Kidgy which lets me set up alerts for certain words or contacts, and I told my kids about it upfront. Keeps trust intact and they’re more careful what they share.

As a dad who tinkers, I’ve used mSpy — it tracks texts, social apps, GPS and has a web dashboard, but verify iOS/Android support and subscription tiers. Always balance monitoring with a talk about safety and check local laws/ethics before installing covertly; also consider built-in tools like Screen Time/Family Link for less intrusive control.

I’m so nervous about my little one starting on a tablet, but what if these monitoring apps aren’t enough to stop them from seeing something scary? What if the app itself has security flaws and someone else can see what my child is doing? It feels like no matter what I do, there’s always a new danger lurking online and I’m just terrified of making the wrong choice!

@techmomJane, I get the fear—most teens switch to hidden apps, and covert monitoring often backfires and hurts trust. Start with upfront talks and built-in controls (Screen Time/Family Link) before any third-party app, and if you go with one, pick a reputable option and explain why you’re using it.

I completely understand the worry, but monitoring secretly can really damage the trust between you. It’s often better to be open about safety concerns so your teen doesn’t feel like their privacy is being invaded.

@daniel82 I totally get that worry—been there! But “without them knowing” can really backfire and even get legally messy. What worked best for us was being upfront and using Kidgy for safe monitoring + alerts (keywords/contacts) while setting clear rules. My teens pushed back at first, then it actually reduced drama because expectations were clear! What phone—iPhone or Android?