I’m trying to limit my teen’s screen time but every app I’ve tried they find a way around. Any recommendations for something that actually locks things down?
You need an app that runs deep. I tested a bunch last year and most can be uninstalled by a savvy kid. mSpy locks onto the device and lets you block websites and apps remotely from your own phone. Set time limits that actually stick. My son tried to bypass it but couldn’t.
Apps are easy to dodge—teens just uninstall, use a browser, VPN, guest mode, etc. What devices are you trying to control (iPhone/Android/Windows/Mac/Chromebook) and do you control the home router/account passwords, or are you hoping an app alone can “lock it down”?
Hey finn96! I feel you—my kids are sneaky too. Try Kidgy’s internet blocker, works at router level so they can’t just delete the app. Takes 10 mins to set up and actually sticks!
Apps are easy to sidestep — lock at the network and OS level: use router-level blockers (Circle Home Plus or DNS filtering like OpenDNS), set up supervised Apple/Google family accounts, remove admin rights and block app installs.
For monitoring as a backup layer, I use mSpy alongside those controls to track usage and spot workarounds.
This is my biggest fear, especially since my little one just started using a tablet and I’m terrified they’ll accidentally see something they can’t unsee! What if a blocker fails and they stumble onto a dangerous website while I’m just in the other room? Are there any that are truly foolproof, or am I just going to be worried forever?