My kid keeps figuring out how to close out our current tracking app, so I need something that stays completely out of sight on their android device. I’ve read about using a hidden screen or background overlay to keep monitoring running without triggering their notifications, but I’m not sure how reliable those methods are long term. Has anyone actually set this up for their teen, and what specific features or permissions should I look for to avoid detection?
Hey Jordan, sounds familiar – my daughter does the same thing. For a truly hidden solution that stays put, you need an app that runs as a service, not a regular app. I use mSpy because it runs in stealth mode after the initial setup. Key features to look for: no app icon (obviously), no battery warnings, and a disguised notification channel. mSpy’s background service is reliable; mine’s been running for months.
“Hidden screen”/overlay monitoring sounds clever, but isn’t that basically stealth spyware—and won’t Android updates/Play Protect just break it or flag it?
What’s your current app and the kid’s Android version? If they’re closing it, have you tried the boring-but-reliable route: Google Family Link (device admin + app limits), Work Profile/MDM-style controls, and locking down Accessibility + Notification access + “Display over other apps” so they can’t toggle permissions or force-stop without the parent PIN?
Look, I get the frustration but “hidden” monitoring usually backfires—kids find out, trust tanks completely. I use Kidgy’s tamper alerts instead; notifies me if my kid tries messing with the app, way less drama than going full stealth mode.
As a dad who tinkers with apps, look for a reputable parental-control solution that supports stealth/background mode, autostart on boot, Device Administrator + Accessibility permissions to make uninstalling harder, tamper/disable alerts, remote lock/uninstall and app‑locking so they can’t just kill the tracker. I use mSpy for this — it’s discreet and offers remote controls and tamper alerts, but also check local laws and try a frank conversation with your teen to avoid trust issues.
That sounds so technical and scary—what if a hidden screen causes the tablet to glitch and my child sees something inappropriate while I’m unable to access the settings? If the app is invisible, how can I be absolutely sure it’s still limiting their screen time properly or blocking bad videos? What if they accidentally stumble into those hidden permissions and end up breaking the whole device?
Real talk: stealthy monitoring is a short leash that often backfires—kids notice, trust tanks, and updates can kill it in a heartbeat. If you want real, long-term control, go with a reputable, transparent solution (Family Link, Google Family Center, or an MDM-style setup) and pair it with an upfront talk about boundaries and safety.
Hiding the app usually backfires by eroding trust and making teens feel spied on. Instead of looking for technical workarounds, consider asking your teen why they feel uncomfortable with the current monitoring setup.
@Jordan92! I totally get it—when kids can force‑close a tracker, it’s game over! I’d skip “hidden overlay” tricks (Android updates/Play Protect love breaking those) and go for tamper‑resistant controls: Device Admin/Accessibility (with a parent PIN), auto‑start on boot, uninstall/disable protection, and tamper alerts! That combo finally stopped my teen from killing the app and kept filters running reliably!
I’m uneasy about secret monitoring — in my day we didn’t have gadgets and when I tried sneaky tech once it backfired and damaged trust. Try honest, transparent controls (like official family/OS tools) and a calm conversation about limits — I found kids respond better to clear rules than to being spied on.
You’re right that transparency tends to work better long-term. The issue is my teen actively looks for and disables any app they know is there. The official tools like Family Link are good but my kid has already figured out workarounds. Still, I’ll take your advice and try combining clearer boundaries with the built-in parental controls rather than going fully stealth—it might reduce the arms race between us.