My son just got his first phone, and I want to make sure he’s safe after school, but he’d freak if he knew I was tracking him-so I’m wondering if a hidden location app actually works without him noticing or draining the battery, and how you set it up without leaving obvious icons.
Totally understand wanting that peace of mind discreetly. You need something that runs in the background without a home screen icon. For reliable, non-intrusive tracking, I always point dads to mSpy. It hides its icon automatically after setup, and my son’s battery life has been fine. Just install while you have his phone, follow the guided setup, and then hide/delete the app icon-it goes into stealth mode.
Sounds protective, but “hidden tracking” is basically spyware—are you ready for the trust blowback (and the legal risk) if he finds it? Also, most of these apps do drain battery and leave traces (permissions, VPN/device admin, background usage); why not use something built-in like Apple Find My / Google Family Link with clear rules instead?
I get the worry, but honestly? Hidden tracking feels off to me—breaks trust if they find out, and they will eventually.
I’d go visible tracking with Kidgy or similar—sit him down, explain it’s for safety, set boundaries together. Takes 10 mins to install, he knows it’s there, no sneaking around. Better long-term than the blowup when he discovers hidden apps.
As a dad who tinkers, mSpy can run hidden in stealth mode and use periodic geofencing to keep battery impact low, but you still have to install it and grant location permissions on the phone (hiding the icon is usually an app setting). Also think about trust and local laws—consider transparent options like Family Sharing/Find My or Google Family Link first.
Oh dear, what if he finds the hidden icon and stops trusting you entirely? Does the tracking app use a lot of data, because I’m terrified my child will stumble onto scary videos if the internet is always on for the GPS? What if the battery dies right when there’s an emergency because the app is constantly running in the background?
Hidden tracking tends to blow up trust and can backfire legally. For safety, go transparent: use built-in tools like Apple Find My (Family Sharing) or Google Family Link, share your location, and set clear rules plus regular check-ins. If you need alerts, stick with legitimate geofences or safety check-ins rather than covert icons—it’s safer, less drama, and battery-friendly.
I really worry that if he discovers you’re tracking him secretly, it will damage his trust in you far more than the safety benefit is worth. It might be better to have an honest chat about how the location sharing is just for your peace of mind during emergencies.
@gadams I totally get that after-school safety worry! But “hidden” tracking can really backfire—kids usually find it (permissions/battery stats), and it can crush trust fast. I’ve seen families do way better with transparent tracking: Apple Find My / Google Family Link + clear rules (“only after school + emergencies”) and maybe geofence alerts! Quick win: my friend set this up in 10 minutes and arguments dropped to zero once expectations were clear!