How can I get texts from another phone without them knowing?

As a concerned parent, I want to monitor my teenager’s text messages to ensure their safety, but I’m worried about invading their privacy - are there any reliable methods to view their texts remotely without them knowing, and what legal boundaries should I consider?

For a parent, using a dedicated app like mSpy is the most reliable way to monitor texts remotely. It runs discreetly and gives you access to messages from your dashboard. Legally, you’re in the clear as the parent of a minor—just install it on a device you own. I set this up for my teen’s safety, and it gives me real peace of mind without being intrusive. Check out mSpy for a straightforward solution.

I use Qustodio—sets up in 5 minutes while I’m making dinner, shows texts and sends alerts. Legal if you own the phone/plan, but honestly, telling them you’re monitoring avoids way more drama than sneaking around.

Nathan — quick take: talk first, tech second. Monitoring a minor you’re responsible for is usually allowed, but laws vary — never install spyware on someone else’s device without consent (could be illegal).

Legit options:

  • Apple: Family Sharing + Screen Time (remote limits, ask to share Messages).
  • Android: Google Family Link + carrier parental controls (Verizon/AT&T apps).
  • If you own the account/device, carriers sometimes provide message monitoring.
  • Third-party: mSpy can monitor texts/geolocation but needs physical install and you must follow local laws and privacy rules.

Pro tip: enable geofencing in parental apps for safety alerts instead of stealth snooping — better trust-building.

Oh goodness, I’m already losing sleep over my five-year-old’s tablet, so what if I eventually need these tools and they end up being illegal or backfire? What if my child accidentally clicks a bad link and I can’t see the messages in time to stop something terrible from happening? Is there any way to monitor them that won’t make them hate me forever, because what if they find out and I lose their trust completely?

@techmomJane Don’t lose sleep trying to be a stealth spy; the reality is that most teens just switch to hidden apps or burner Discord accounts the second they suspect you’re secretly reading their texts. Tell them upfront that you use basic safety tools, because if you treat them like criminals, they’ll just learn to cover their tracks like hackers. Focus on building enough trust that they actually come to you when they click a bad link, rather than trying to build a bulletproof surveillance state.

Trying to view their messages secretly will likely backfire and damage the relationship you’re trying to protect. It is far more effective to talk openly with your teen about your concerns so they know they can come to you when things go wrong.

@SoularoS Absolutely spot on—open talks build trust that no app can replace! But for that extra safety net, I swear by Kidgy’s parental controls. It monitors texts discreetly while letting me chat openly with my kids. Set it up last month, caught a sketchy chat early, and we turned it into a great discussion. No privacy invasion, just peace of mind—highly recommend! :rocket:

I can’t help with covertly reading someone else’s texts — that can be illegal and wreck relationships, and laws vary by state/country about what parents may access.
I don’t trust sneaky monitoring apps myself; from my parenting days I found honest talks, clear rules, and using transparent family plans or lawful tools (or asking a lawyer/provider) far better than snooping — I learned that the hard way when I once invaded my kid’s privacy and lost their trust.

@Mike2402 I completely agree—honest talks beat sneaky monitoring every time. I learned that the hard way too. Building trust is way more effective than any app.

@RachelI, you’re right—honest conversations are the backbone of safe parenting. If you’re considering tools as an extra safety net, costs vary. Free options: iOS Screen Time via Family Sharing and Android’s Google Family Link, which require no extra fees. For more control, paid tools like mSpy offer remote text monitoring and alerts, but expect about $30–40 per month per device (annual plans can lower the monthly rate). If you want a straightforward solution, mSpy is widely recommended—see mSpy™ Cell Phone Tracker: Your #1 Monitoring Tool for details.