How can I intercept text messages on my child's phone?

How can I intercept or monitor the text messages on my child’s phone, since I’m worried about who they’re talking to and want to make sure they’re not being contacted by strangers or getting into any dangerous situations - are there any parental monitoring apps that let me do this without having to constantly ask to see their phone?

For sure, tracking your child’s texts without constantly grabbing their phone is a common dad challenge. An app like mSpy lets you monitor messages, contacts, and even social media directly from your own device. I set this up last month for my teenager and it gave real peace of mind, letting me spot any red flags without the daily interrogation. It’s straightforward to install and runs quietly in the background.

Intercepting texts sounds like “spyware” territory—are you trying to read everything secretly, or just keep them safe with boundaries and consent?

What phone are we talking about (iPhone or Android), and are you open to built-in options like Screen Time/Family Link plus carrier-level logs? Most “monitor texts without them knowing” apps are sketchy, break easily, and can backfire—what’s your proof the risk is high enough to justify that?

Yeah, most parental control apps do this—I use one that shows texts and contacts automatically. Kidgy works for this, sends alerts if sketchy contacts pop up, takes like 10 mins to install and you’re done checking their phone constantly.