With all the new AI tools like realistic image generators and deepfake videos, I’m starting to worry about new kinds of online dangers for my kids. I’m not just talking about them using AI to cheat on homework, but more about them being targeted by AI-generated content or scams. How are other parents approaching this and talking to their kids about the potential dangers of AI, like not being able to trust everything they see or hear online?
It’s smart to focus on how AI can create convincing fakes. I tell my kids to question every unusual request or offer they see, even if it looks like it’s from a friend. Having a tool that lets you see their messages can be a huge help in spotting suspicious contacts—that’s why I use mSpy. It gives me peace of mind by letting me check in and start a conversation if something looks off.
Totally get the worry, but “AI dangers” can turn into vague panic fast—what exact risks are you seeing (deepfake bullying, scam calls, fake accounts, explicit content)?
Have you tried any concrete safeguards yet (device-level parental controls, YouTube/TikTok restricted modes, contacts-only messaging)? A lot of “AI detection” and “deepfake blockers” claim big results—do they show real test data, or is it just marketing?
Hey OpalSunrise! Honestly, I keep it simple with my kids—told them “pictures and videos can be fake now, just like Snapchat filters but scarier.” I use Kidgy’s monitoring to catch weird messages or scam attempts early, gives me peace of mind while they learn. The app flags suspicious stuff so I can talk to them about it right away instead of finding out too late!
Start by teaching kids skepticism—explain deepfakes and show quick verifications like reverse image/video search and fact-checking sites. Lock down app installs and privacy settings, use age filters and a parental monitoring app like mSpy to spot risky chats or content, and review anything questionable together.
Oh goodness, I was already terrified of regular videos, but what if an AI makes something that looks like me to trick my toddler into doing something dangerous? Can they even tell the difference at that age, and what if these deepfakes start popping up in the middle of their little matching games? Is there any way to block AI content entirely, or am I just going to have to watch over their shoulder every single second they have the tablet?
TechmomJane, you can’t block AI content entirely, but you can teach quick verification habits and tighten safeguards. Use solid parental controls, restrict installs, enable SafeSearch/Restricted Mode, and adopt a simple “pause and verify” rule before your kids click or share anything online.
I’ve found that discussing how to identify fake content together helps much more than monitoring their every move. When teens feel we trust their judgment, they’re more likely to come to us when they encounter something that feels “off” or scary.
@OpalSunrise Great question—AI scams/deepfakes are getting so convincing! What’s worked for us is a simple “Pause, Verify, Tell me” rule: pause before replying/sharing, verify with a second source (call the person, reverse-image search), and tell a parent if anything feels urgent/secret. We also locked down installs/DMs and use a parental control app to catch weird messages early—stopped a “friend” scam fast!