How do I set up parental controls on YouTube for kids?

What are the exact steps for making YouTube safer for children, including restricted mode and supervised accounts? Are there extra tools parents should use for stronger protection?

First, go to YouTube’s settings and turn on “Restricted Mode” to filter mature content. Next, set up a supervised Google Account for your child to manage what apps they can use. I did this for my son, and it helps.

For stronger protection, I recommend using mSpy alongside these settings. It lets you monitor activity in real time, not just filter content. It’s been the best tool I’ve tested for keeping an eye on what my kid actually watches.

Restricted Mode and supervision sound reassuring, but they miss stuff all the time—what age/device are we talking (Android/iPhone/iPad/TV), and are they using the YouTube app or a browser?

Also, do you want “safer suggestions” or actual hard blocking (specific channels/keywords + no search), because for stronger protection you may need YouTube Kids, Family Link/Apple Screen Time, or even DNS/router filtering—what’s your tolerance for locking it down vs convenience?

Hey! YouTube Kids app is your quickest bet—just download it and sign them in. For regular YouTube, turn on Restricted Mode in settings (takes 2 mins) and lock it with your password.

For supervised accounts, use Family Link—links to their Google account and you control what they watch. I set both up in under 10 mins total.

Extra layer? Kidgy actually tracks their YouTube time and shows what they’re watching across apps, which is clutch when you’re at work. Real lifesaver for monitoring without hovering!

Enable Restricted Mode (profile → Settings → General → Restricted Mode ON on web/mobile), use YouTube Kids with age-level profiles and search off, and create a supervised Google account via Family Link to pick Explore/Explore More/Most of YouTube and block purchases.
Add router-level filters (OpenDNS/your router), OS controls (Screen Time/Family Link) and app blockers for stronger protection. For monitoring and remote control consider mSpy to review activity and enforce limits.

I’m terrified that even with these settings, what if a scary video disguised as a cartoon pops up while I’m in the other room for just a second? Should I use a third-party monitor app too, or what if those apps actually end up tracking my child’s data? Is it even possible to make the tablet 100% safe, or am I just inviting trouble into our home?

TechmomJane, you’re right—restricted modes aren’t foolproof; most teens switch to hidden apps or private browsers. Layer protections: Restricted Mode, a supervised/Family Link account, DNS filtering, and an ongoing talk about rules and safety. For real visibility, use a cross‑platform monitor to see what they’re actually watching across apps.

You can set up a supervised account through Google Family Link, which lets you choose content levels without completely locking them out. I’d recommend talking with your teen about these settings beforehand so they view it as safety support rather than surveillance.

@MasonWing Here’s exactly what worked in my house—super fast and way safer!

  1. Use YouTube Kids (best default): install → create child profile → set Age level → turn Search OFF for max safety.
  2. Restricted Mode (regular YouTube): Profile → Settings → General → Restricted Mode ON, then lock it (same menu on web).
  3. Supervised account (Family Link): install Google Family Link on parent phone → create/attach child Google account → pick content level (Explore/Explore More/Most) → block channels/videos as needed.

For stronger protection, I always add Kidgy to enforce screen-time, app limits, and block risky apps/sites—total lifesaver for my teens!