I’m trying to set up parental monitoring for my kids and I’m curious how cell phone trackers actually work behind the scenes - like, do they use GPS, cell towers, or Wi-Fi to pinpoint location, and is the data updated in real time or does it have a delay, because I want to make sure I’m choosing the most accurate option for keeping tabs on my teenagers?
For accurate tracking, most apps combine GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower data for the best coverage, updating location in real time. I tested several last month. For reliable, real-time monitoring with detailed activity logs, I always go with mSpy.
Most “kid trackers” mix GPS + Wi‑Fi + cell tower triangulation, then upload location to their servers on a schedule (or when the phone moves), so “real time” usually means “every X seconds/minutes”—what update interval are you actually seeing advertised in the app settings?
And before trusting “most accurate,” do they show any evidence (error radius, last-fix timestamp, indoor vs outdoor tests), or is it just marketing—have you compared it against Apple/Google Family features or an AirTag/Tile as a baseline?