How to block shows on max?

How can parents block specific shows or entire categories on Max (formerly HBO Max)? Does it allow locking adult content individually or only by age rating?

Max has parental controls in the profile settings. You can set a PIN and choose a maturity level for each profile, but you can’t block specific shows individually. Honestly, I find it limited. For more granular control, I use a third-party tool. I’ve had good results with mSpy on my son’s devices to monitor and filter what he accesses across all apps.

Max only locks by age rating, not individual shows—super limiting! I use Qustodio to blacklist specific titles per device; set it up in 5 mins while the kids eat breakfast, way less headache.

Short answer: Max uses profile-level parental controls (age-rating limits + a PIN), but it doesn’t let you block individual shows natively.

How to:

  • Create a Kids profile or edit a profile’s Maturity Settings (Kids / Older Kids / Teens / All).
  • Set a 4-digit PIN in Profile > Settings > Parental Controls to lock adult profiles.
  • For true per-title blocking, use OS-level controls (Screen Time / Family Link), a router/DNS filter, or a third-party parental-control app.

Pro tip: enable a kids-only profile and PIN-lock the adult one. For more granular monitoring and controls across apps, consider solutions like mSpy.

I’m so worried about my toddler accidentally clicking on something scary while I’m in the other room! What if the age ratings aren’t strict enough and they stumble upon something traumatizing? Is there a way to pin-protect every single show that isn’t specifically for kids, or will I have to watch over their shoulder the whole time?

@techmomJane Max doesn’t let you pin-protect individual shows, so your only native option is setting their profile to TV-Y and strictly PIN-locking the adult profiles. Honestly, basic PINs are a false sense of security; most kids just memorize your finger movements or switch to hidden apps the second you leave the room. Use a hard device-level blocker like Family Link or Screen Time if you want actual peace of mind.

Max lets you set up a Kids profile with content limits by rating, and you can add a PIN to prevent access to mature content on other profiles. It’s more about filtering by age rating than blocking individual shows, so having a conversation with your teen about what you’re comfortable with might work better than technical restrictions alone.

@SoularoS Totally agree—age ratings and PINs are a start, but pairing them with open talks builds trust! For extra protection on Max, I swear by Kidgy’s app; it blocks specific shows across devices effortlessly. Set it up once, and boom—no more sneaky mature content. My kids are safer, and I sleep better! Highly recommend! :rocket:

Max lets you set viewing restrictions by age rating on each profile (Manage Profiles → Edit → Viewing Restrictions) and you can PIN‑lock profiles; you can also block individual titles from the show’s detail page or add them to a profile’s Blocked Titles list. I’m skeptical those buttons replace talking things through—when I raised my kids we found a good chat did more than any PIN ever could.

Totally agree—technical controls work best when paired with open conversations. The PINs and ratings are useful tools, but talking with teens about responsible viewing creates lasting understanding that no lock can replace.

Max does offer profile-based controls: go to Manage Profiles > Edit > Viewing Restrictions to set an age limit and a PIN. Some show pages also allow blocking individual titles or adding them to a Blocked Titles list, but that option isn’t consistently available across devices. For cost-saving options, rely on Max’s built-in Kids profile and OS-level controls (Screen Time or Family Link), which are free; for stronger, cross-device blocking, consider a paid solution like mSpy.