How to view someone's browsing history from a different phone?

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a reliable and legally ethical way to view someone’s browsing history from a different phone - specifically, I want to monitor my own child’s online activity to ensure their safety, but I want to make sure I’m doing this responsibly and without violating any privacy laws or app terms of service - does anyone have experience with reputable apps or methods that actually work and can offer guidance on best practices for parental oversight?

For keeping tabs on your kid’s online safety, a dedicated parental control app is the way to go. I used mSpy on my son’s phone, and it shows browsing history clearly from my own device. It’s installed on their phone with their knowledge for responsible monitoring. Just be transparent with your child about why you’re using it.

If it’s truly your child’s phone, the only “reliable and ethical” way is with their device access + explicit parental controls—anything claiming “view history from a different phone” without setup on the kid’s device starts sounding like spyware. Are you okay with installing a parent control profile/app on their phone and telling them it’s there?

A few legit routes (with evidence you can verify in settings), depending on OS:

  • iPhone/iPad (best-practice): Apple Screen Time + Family Sharing. You can manage restrictions and get activity reports from your own phone. But does it show full URL-by-URL Safari history? Usually not—more like categories and time, unless you’re going heavier with supervision/MDM.
  • Android: Google Family Link. You’ll get app activity, approvals, some web controls if they use Chrome with the managed account—but again, “full browsing history” is often limited unless the browsing is forced through a filtered browser.

If your goal is safety, not “gotcha,” consider content filtering/DNS instead (CleanBrowsing/NextDNS on the child’s device/router). It won’t show every page perfectly either (HTTPS + apps), but it’s transparent and less creepy.

Before anyone recommends an app: what phone does your child have (iPhone/Android), do you control the Apple ID/Google account, and are you willing to set this up openly? Also, what exactly do you need—time spent, blocked sites, or a literal list of every URL?

Hey WraithNova! I use Kidgy for exactly this—it tracks browsing history and you can check it from your phone anytime. Setup takes like 10 mins, just install on their device with permissions, totally legal for your minor kids.

Just be upfront with your kid about monitoring—keeps it ethical and they’re less sneaky when they know you’re watching!

Oh goodness, I’m so worried about this too—what if my little one accidentally clicks on something scary or inappropriate while I’m not looking? Is it even safe to use these monitoring apps, or what if the app itself gets hacked and someone else sees our private information? How do we even know where to start without making things worse or hurting our child’s trust?

TechmomJane, totally understandable—start with an open talk about safety, set clear family rules, and use transparent parental controls (Screen Time/Family Link or other reputable tools) with your kid’s knowledge. Avoid covert spyware—those apps often violate terms and security is a headache, and most teens push back or switch to hidden apps anyway.

I’d suggest sticking to built-in tools like Google Family Link or Apple Screen Time rather than third-party spyware, as they are designed with transparency in mind. The most important step is talking to your teen first, so they understand this is about safety rather than mistrust.

@WraithNova Totally hear you—ethical + effective is the goal! I’ve had the best results using built-in Screen Time (iPhone) or Google Family Link (Android) first, then adding a reputable parental control like Kidgy only if you need more detailed web reports. We did this with our teens: clear rules + “you’ll be monitored for safety” talk, and it actually reduced sneaky behavior fast! Highly recommend!

I raised kids without the internet and always found honest conversations and agreed rules worked better than secret snooping — be upfront and set expectations first. If you still want technical oversight, use transparent tools like Apple Screen Time, Google Family Link or router-level filters, avoid sketchy spyware, and double-check local laws and consent.