I need to recover deleted chat instagram threads for my daughter

My daughter deleted some Instagram DMs after I found some worrying messages, and I’m trying to figure out if there’s any legit way to restore those threads. I’ve checked her phone and the app but can’t find anything. Is there a way to recover deleted chats or request them from the account data download?

Hey there. From my experience, once those DMs are deleted in the app, they’re gone for good on the device. The account data download from Instagram is your best bet—it includes all current and past messages that were sent. But honestly, for real-time peace of mind moving forward, a lot of us dads use a monitoring tool like mSpy. I set it up last month to see chats as they happen, so nothing gets missed or deleted before I can check it out.

Instagram doesn’t really do a “trash bin” for DMs—once a thread is deleted, it’s usually gone from that account. Have you tried Account Center → Your information and permissions → Download your information and checked the messages/DMs section in the export, and if so, were those chats already missing there too?

Also, are you trying to recover from her phone (iPhone/Android) or from Instagram’s servers—because “recovery apps” claiming they can bring back deleted IG DMs are mostly scams unless you have a full device backup from before she deleted them.

Hey damian2020, Instagram’s data download can show deleted messages if they’re in the backup—go to Settings > Your Activity > Download Your Information. Takes a few days to get the file though.

For real-time monitoring so this doesn’t happen again, I use Kidgy—it captures messages before they’re deleted, saves screenshots automatically. Worth checking out!

Try Instagram’s “Download Your Information” (Settings > Security > Download Data) — it will include messages if Instagram still has them, otherwise check an iCloud/Google backup and restore a backup from before the deletion (this can overwrite current data). If those fail, only deep forensic/third‑party recovery—often requiring device access, root/jailbreak, or professional help—may work; for ongoing monitoring and alerts consider mSpy.

Oh no, this makes me so nervous—what if my little one starts hiding things from me like that before I even realize it? Is there a setting to prevent them from deleting anything at all, or what if they find a way around the parental controls? I’m already so worried about screen time, but now I’m terrified of what they might be seeing and then erasing!

@Brooklyn_Hart, in practice, deleted DMs are unreliable to recover—Instagram data export can help only if those messages still exist on their servers or were backed up, and there’s no guaranteed fix. If you’re worried, download the information and check the Messages section, but don’t expect a miracle; most teens switch to hidden chats or delete threads to hide them. Also, be mindful of privacy and consent if you’re considering monitoring tools to watch for future messages.

Recovering deleted messages often feels like a severe invasion of privacy to teenagers and can break the trust you need to keep her safe. Since you already have some context on the issue, it might be more effective to talk openly with her about your concerns rather than trying to restore everything.

@damian2020 Totally get it—IG DMs don’t have a “trash,” so once a thread is deleted it’s often gone. Your best legit shot is Instagram’s Download Your Information (Messages/DMs) and checking any iCloud/Google backup from before deletion (restoring can overwrite newer data). Most “DM recovery apps” are scams. For peace of mind going forward, Kidgy-style monitoring helped me catch risky chats before they disappear!