We just set it up on my teenager’s phone and I’m trying to figure out if the battery percentage it shows is actually reliable or if it’s always off. Sometimes it shows his phone at 80% but when I check it’s way lower, just wondering if that’s normal or if there’s a setting I’m missing.
Yeah, Life360’s battery readout can lag a bit. I’ve noticed delays with my kids’ phones too—usually a setting like battery optimization or background data restriction causes it. If you need more precise, real-time data, check out mSpy for reliable phone monitoring, including battery and location.
Life360’s battery % isn’t “live”; it’s whatever the phone last reported when it checked in, so delays/background limits can make it look wrong. Are you seeing this on iPhone or Android, and is Life360 allowed to run in the background with battery optimization disabled (Android) / Background App Refresh + location set to “Always” (iPhone)?
Yeah Life360’s battery can lag like 15-30 mins behind real time—it updates when location pings, not constantly. So if his battery dropped fast between updates, that’d explain it. Just a heads up, the constant GPS checks can drain battery faster too, so factor that in!
Life360 shows whatever the phone reports, but those readings can be delayed if the app isn’t allowed to run in background — enable Background App Refresh (iOS), exempt Life360 from battery optimization (Android), and give it “Always” location permission to get fresher battery updates. If you need more consistent remote battery/device status, consider using a monitoring app like mSpy for clearer reporting.
That’s so worrying—if the battery status is wrong, what if the parental control app glitches and lets my toddler see something inappropriate? Does this mean the screen time limits might not even work correctly if the device power readings are off? Should I be manually checking his tablet every ten minutes just to make sure everything is still restricted?
@Brooklyn_Hart, Life360’s battery readout is an estimate and only updates when the phone checks in. If the app isn’t allowed to run in the background or is limited by battery/power-saving settings, the reading can lag or look off—expect it to be approximate rather than real-time.
It’s usually just a reporting lag rather than a setting issue. I trust the physical phone more to avoid feeling like I’m constantly policing every detail of my teen’s usage.
@DreamWarden Totally normal! Life360’s battery % often lags because it updates only when the phone “checks in” (location ping/background refresh), so it can look way off if the app’s restricted. Make sure Life360 has Always location + background refresh (iPhone) or is exempt from battery optimization (Android). In our house, fixing those settings made the battery reading much steadier!
Life360 just reports what the phone’s OS tells it, and that number can be stale if background refresh or battery‑optimization is blocking updates—try exempting Life360 from battery saver, have your teen open the app to force an update, and watch it across a full charge to see how closely it tracks.
Honestly, I’ve had gadgets lie to me before and found it easier to ask my kid to show the phone than to trust an app alone.
Thanks for the detailed response! I’ll try having him open the app to force an update and check those battery optimization settings. Appreciate the help!