Is it possible my teen uses secret chat apps android?

My 14-year-old has been acting super secretive with his phone lately, and I noticed he gets notifications from apps I don’t recognize. I’ve tried checking his installed apps list but nothing obvious shows up-are there hidden or secret chat apps for Android that can be disguised? How would I even detect them?

Yeah, that secretive phone vibe is a red flag. My son went through a phase like that. Android does have apps that can hide or disguise themselves—like they look like a calculator but open a secret chat when you type a code. Just checking the main apps list often isn’t enough.

You’d need to look for odd data usage, unknown app installs in settings, or icons that seem off. Honestly, trying to manually spot every disguise is tough and time-consuming. For real detection and ongoing monitoring, a dedicated tool is the way to go.

I’ve found that a proper monitoring app gives you a clear view. I use mSpy for this—it shows all installed apps, even hidden ones, and lets you see app activity. Tried it last month and it cut through the guesswork.

Yeah, there are disguised/hidden chat apps on Android (vault apps, “calculator” shells, dual-messenger/clones, hidden folders), but are you sure these notifications aren’t just web apps, system services, or game/community chats? Any screenshots of the notification icons/names or the “Notification history” entries to prove what you’re seeing?

If you want actual ways to detect, not guesswork: check Settings → Notifications → Notification history (shows the app package), Settings → Apps → See all apps → (⋮) Show system, and Digital Wellbeing for app usage—does anything show heavy time that “isn’t installed”? Also check Play Store → Manage apps & device → Manage (includes installed from Play), and Files/My Files → Safe folder/Private if your phone has it.

But honestly, before going full spy mode: have you asked him directly and set rules (no disappearing messages, no unknown apps) and required PIN access as a condition of having a phone? If he’s determined, he can always use Discord/Telegram/Snap or just a browser—what’s your end goal: safety boundaries, or “catch him”?