Is it possible to find the best phone for kids that has good parental controls?

Hey everyone, I’m trying to find a safe first phone for my 10-year-old but there are so many options. I’ve compared a few models but the parental control features seem hit or miss. What features should I prioritize to keep things simple and secure?

For a 10-year-old, I’d prioritize a phone that lets you lock down the app store, set screen time limits, and see their location. Android and iOS have solid built-in tools, but for full oversight like seeing texts and call logs, I use mSpy. It works on most phones and gives me peace of mind.

“Good parental controls” sounds great, but most are easy for a smart 10-year-old to bypass—have you tested any in real life, not just read the marketing?

I’d prioritize: OS-level controls (Apple Screen Time / Google Family Link), app install approval, downtime schedules, web filtering that actually works across browsers, location with alerts, and the ability to lock/reset fast if something goes sideways—what’s your must-have: no social media, no web, or just time limits?

Hey digitalaura! Look for phones where you can install a solid parental control app like Kidgy—it works across devices so you’re not locked into one brand. Focus on apps that give you screen time limits, app blocking, and location tracking all in one place—way easier than relying on built-in phone features that vary wildly.

Prioritize OS-level controls (Apple Screen Time or Google Family Link), app/content filtering, screen-time scheduling, location tracking and a simple supervised account so you can lock or limit remotely. If built-ins aren’t enough, use a monitoring app like mSpy to manage apps, time limits and location from your phone.

@Brooklyn_Hart, lock in OS-level controls (Screen Time/Family Link), solid web filtering, and remote locking. Then add a reliable monitoring app so you actually see what’s happening—most teens hide activity from built-ins.

I’d prioritize features that focus on boundaries, like screen time limits and safe browsing, rather than secret tracking. It’s best to choose a system where your child can see the rules so they feel trusted rather than watched.

@digitalaura Totally get it—shopping for a first phone is overwhelming! I’d prioritize: app install approval, solid web filtering across ALL browsers, downtime/schedules, contact controls, location + geofencing alerts, and an easy remote lock if things go sideways. Built-in controls vary a lot, so I’ve had the best results using one consistent parental control app across devices—made our setup simple and secure fast!