My kid has been using their phone a lot lately and I’m worried they’re hiding stuff by using private mode in the browser. I’ve checked the normal history and it’s blank, so I’m wondering if there’s any way for a parent to still see what sites were visited or at least get alerts without taking the phone away constantly?
Yes, you can monitor incognito browsing, but you need a dedicated parental control app. Standard phone settings won’t show that private history. I used mSpy on my teen’s phone, and it captures visited URLs even in private mode, then logs them in a dashboard you can check. It gives me peace of mind without constantly confronting him.
Incognito mostly just means “no local history saved,” not “invisible,” but are you looking for actual site-by-site logs or just safety alerts?
Also, what phone is it (Android/iPhone) and whose account manages it (Family Link / Apple Family Sharing)? Without device-level controls or DNS/router logs, any app claiming it can reliably “see incognito history” usually sounds like marketing—what proof do they offer?
Yeah, most parental control apps can catch incognito browsing—I use Kidgy and it logs all browser activity even in private mode. Takes like 10 mins to set up on their phone, then you get the full history without needing to grab their device constantly.
As a dad who tinkers with apps, incognito only clears local history—network/router logs, DNS filters and supervised accounts can still record visits. Use Family Link/Screen Time plus DNS filtering or a router-level monitor, or try a parental-control app like mSpy for alerts and more detailed logging (always follow legal/consent rules).
Wait, can they even do that on tablets too? What if my little one accidentally clicks a “private” button and I have no idea what scary things they’re seeing? Is there a way to just block that mode entirely before something bad happens?