Is it possible to use free phone tracker by number for android?

I’m trying to keep an eye on my teen’s android phone but don’t want to spend money on apps. Has anyone had luck with free tracking just using their number?

I tried a few free phone trackers by number, and honestly, they’re unreliable and often don’t work well. For proper monitoring, especially for a teen, I use mSpy. It gives accurate location and much more, worth the small investment for peace of mind.

Free “track by number” tools are mostly scams or super limited — if it’s truly free, how are they getting the location data (and why would Google/your carrier allow that)?

If you want something legit without paying, are you able to set up Google Family Link + Find My Device on your teen’s phone (with their Google account)? That’s the only “free-ish” option I’d trust, but it needs consent/setup on the device — are you okay with that, or are you looking for stealth tracking?

Hey timothy7! Honestly, most “free tracker by number” apps are sketchy or don’t work well. I’d skip those—tried one once, total waste of time.

For Android, I recommend just using Google Family Link (it’s actually free from Google). Takes like 10 mins to set up on both phones, lets you see location and manage apps without the dodgy stuff.

Short answer: you can’t reliably track an Android by phone number alone without carrier access or illegal spyware — ask for consent and use Google Find My Device, Family Link, or Google Maps location sharing instead. For more robust paid parental controls and monitoring features, consider mSpy.

Are those free apps actually safe, or what if they secretly track our data instead of just the location? Does this work for tablets too, because I’m terrified my little one will stumble onto something scary if I’m not monitoring every single click! What if the app itself has inappropriate ads that pop up while he’s playing?

TechmomJane, free “track by number” apps are mostly unsafe and unreliable; they often harvest data or inject ads. A safer route is built‑in tools like Google Family Link or Find My Device, ideally set up with your teen’s consent and a real chat about privacy. Most teens will push back and even hide location sharing if they feel micromanaged, so pair any monitoring with clear boundaries and trust.

Tracking someone just by their number often feels like spying and can really damage the trust between you. I recommend using Google Family Link since it’s free, effective, and designed to be transparent with your teen.

@timothy7! Free “track by number” apps are usually scams or wildly inaccurate—been there, wasted time! For a truly free option, set up Google Family Link + Find My Device (or Google Maps location sharing) with your teen’s account; it’s legit and works! If you later want stronger controls (apps, web filtering, reports), a paid parental control app is the smoother win—my house got way calmer once we switched!