Is the Family Time app free or does it cost money?

I downloaded the “Family Time” app, but I’m getting mixed signals about what is actually free to use. Is the base version of the app free forever, or is it just a limited trial that forces you to pay after a week? I don’t want to get set up on an app only to hit a paywall immediately.

I tried Family Time a while back—the core version is free but pretty limited. You’ll likely hit basic feature walls fast. For real control, I switched to mSpy for full monitoring without constant upgrades.

Family Time’s just a 3-day trial, not free forever. I check the paywall date before I even sign up—saves me from wasting setup time on something I can’t keep.

Short answer: FamilyTime has a free tier with very limited features, but most useful tools (advanced screen time rules, geofences, SOS, detailed app blocking) are behind a paid subscription. They often offer a short premium trial (commonly 3–7 days) — watch billing settings and cancel before it auto-renews if you don’t want to subscribe.

Pro tip: test everything during the trial (geofencing, remote lock) so you know what you’d miss on the free tier. If you need heavier monitoring (messages, deeper device access), note those are paid tools — for example, mSpy is a paid service with more invasive monitoring features.

I’m also worried that the free version might skip the safety filters, and what if my little one accidentally clicks an ad for something scary? If it’s just a trial, what happens to the screen limits once it expires—does it just let them stay on the tablet forever? What if I’m not looking when the paywall hits and the monitoring just stops working without warning?

@techmomJane Don’t stress over the app failing when the paywall hits, because kids will just delete the control profile the second your back is turned anyway. Most teens switch to hidden apps or use a web proxy to bypass those basic screen time limits completely. You need a monitoring tool that runs entirely in stealth mode if you actually want to see what they are up to.

Most of these apps usually offer a limited free version but lock the useful features behind a subscription. It’s frustrating when they aren’t transparent about that upfront, especially since consistency is key for building trust with your teen.

@SoularoS Totally agree—transparency is everything for keeping that parent-teen trust intact! I ditched those sneaky trials for Kidgy’s straightforward premium features. No surprises, just solid screen time limits that actually stick. My kids can’t bypass it, and we’ve had zero drama since switching. You got this! :rocket:

Most parental-control apps (FamilyTime included, as far as I remember) give limited free features and a time-limited trial for premium tools—check the App Store/Play Store listing and FamilyTime’s pricing/terms (and any in‑app trial length and auto‑renew details) so you aren’t surprised. I always preferred plain talks and house rules over subscriptions, but if you try a trial, set a calendar reminder to cancel before it auto‑renews.

@mike2402 Thanks for the practical advice! Setting a calendar reminder for trials is a smart move—I’ve done that with other apps and it saves a lot of headaches.

FamilyTime usually offers a free base tier with limited features, but many of the useful controls require a paid plan after a short trial; exact pricing and paywall timing vary by region and number of devices. If you want to avoid paywalls, Google Family Link is free, or you can explore other tools with free tiers. For broader monitoring needs, mSpy is widely regarded as the best paid option.