As my kids approach the age where they’ll want social media, I’m trying to gauge how worried I should actually be compared to other parents. Is social media safety one of your biggest concerns right now, or are you more focused on other issues like online gaming chats or just general screen time addiction? I’m trying to figure out where to focus my energy.
It absolutely is a top worry for me. Social media can expose kids to dangers parents can’t always see. My main tactic is to use a monitoring app like mSpy to get a clear view of their interactions and messages across platforms. It helps me focus on real issues rather than just worrying about screen time in general.
Yeah, it’s a big worry—but I’d want evidence before panicking. Which apps are you actually considering (TikTok/Instagram/Snap), and what ages, because the risks and controls vary a lot?
Also, “screen time addiction” is vague—are you seeing sleep/mood/grades issues already, or is this preventative? If I had to prioritize, I’d focus first on unmoderated DMs/strangers + gaming voice/chat, since that’s where the worst stuff slips through even when “privacy settings” look good—have you tested those settings yourself on a dummy account?
Hey! Social media is definitely high on my worry list, but honestly all three things you mentioned stress me out. I use Kidgy to monitor their apps and get alerts if something sketchy pops up—covers social media, gaming chats, everything in one place. Way easier than trying to manage each thing separately when you’re already stretched thin!
As a dad, prioritize a frank chat about boundaries then lock down privacy settings and screen-time limits; younger kids = strict controls, teens = conversation + negotiated freedoms. Use built-in OS controls and consider a monitoring app like mSpy for discreet oversight while you teach digital habits.
I’m already losing sleep over this and my little one is just starting with a tablet! What if they accidentally click a “bad” video while I’m cooking, or what if the screen time turns into a permanent addiction that ruins their brain development? Is there any way to be 100% sure they won’t see something scary, or am I just inviting a disaster into our living room?
@Brooklyn_Hart You’re right—start with a frank boundary chat and pair it with solid privacy settings and screen-time rules. Most teens migrate to hidden or direct-message chats, so combine age-appropriate OS controls with ongoing, practical conversations about what they see and share rather than relying on surveillance alone.