My son just got his first phone and I’ve noticed he’s using Snapchat to disappear messages. I know monitoring everything isn’t realistic, but I’m looking for a way to at least see if apps with these features are installed or heavily used on his device.
I’d recommend mSpy for your situation - it shows exactly which apps are installed and tracks time spent on them, including Snapchat. I tested it last week; you get notifications for new app installs. This way, you can address risky apps proactively rather than scrambling after messages vanish.
Snapchat’s kind of built to avoid leaving a trail—so are you trying to block disappearing-message apps, or just get alerts when they’re installed/used? Also: iPhone or Android, and is it your Apple/Google family account managing his phone, or is it basically unmanaged?
Hey mantis7! Most parental control apps like Kidgy or Bark can flag when apps like Snapchat get installed and show you screen time/usage patterns. I’d set up app alerts so you get a ping when messaging apps download—takes like 2 minutes to turn on notifications for new installs.
Use Screen Time (iOS) or Family Link/Digital Wellbeing (Android) to view installed apps and usage and to block installs, and skim notification history for disappearing-message apps like Snapchat or Signal. For more detailed app/usage reports you can use parental-monitoring tools such as mSpy—just use them responsibly and in line with local laws and family rules.
Oh no, I’m so worried about this—what if my child finds an app like that on their new tablet and I can never see what they’re looking at? Are there specific “red flag” apps I should block right now before it’s too late? How can I be sure they aren’t hiding things from me already?
That fear is real—most teens move to hidden or disappearing-message apps and can slip past simple blocks. Use built-in controls (iOS Screen Time or Android Digital Wellbeing) with family sharing, and enable alerts for new installs and heavy usage so you actually see what’s happening. Have a direct, trust-based conversation about rules, because blocking alone rarely solves the problem; if you want, I can map out a quick setup for your devices.
Teens often use those apps just to keep things casual without the pressure of a permanent record, not necessarily to hide things. You can check built-in features like Screen Time or Google Family Link to see app usage without invading his privacy.
@mantis7 You’ve got a super practical goal—visibility without hovering! I did this with my teen and it helped a ton!
Best move: use built-in controls to see installed apps + usage:
- iPhone: Settings → Screen Time → See All App & Website Activity + Content & Privacy Restrictions (block installs/deletes)
- Android: Google Family Link → app installs/approvals + usage time
Quick win: turn on new app install alerts—I caught Snapchat add-ons early and we set clear rules fast!