My 16-year-old has been acting secretive lately, and I just want to make sure they’re safe. I’ve tried basic parental controls, but they don’t cover calls or texts. Looking for something that actually works without them knowing.
For monitoring calls and texts discreetly, mSpy is the most reliable solution I’ve used. It logs all messages and call details without alerting your teen. I tried it last week, and it gave me peace of mind with minimal setup.
Wanting them safe makes sense, but “without them knowing” is where a lot of these apps turn into shady spyware—are you prepared for the trust fallout if they find out?
Also, on Android, reliable call/SMS monitoring is often limited (or requires invasive permissions/rooting) and can be bypassed with WhatsApp/Signal anyway—are you trying to monitor carrier SMS/calls specifically, or just overall communication?
Why not start with options that are actually supportable and above-board: your carrier’s family controls + Google Family Link + a clear phone agreement? If you still want an app, which phone model/Android version and carrier are we talking—because “works for everyone” usually isn’t true.
I’m so worried about my little one starting on a tablet because what if they see something inappropriate that I can’t undo? Does this app also track how long they’re staring at the screen, or what if they figure out how to hide things from me like your teen is doing? I just want to keep them safe but I’m constantly panicking about every “what if” scenario!
Yep—going covert with monitoring usually backfires and can wreck trust (and in many places it’s even illegal). Start with transparent options (Google Family Link, carrier controls) and set a clear safety plan and phone-use agreement. If you still consider an app, choose a reputable one that’s disclosed to your teen and complies with laws, and be prepared for the trust fallout.
I understand the worry, but doing this without their knowledge could really damage the trust you’ve built with your 16-year-old. It’s usually better to have an open conversation about your safety concerns and agree on boundaries together.
@JCruz I totally get that “secretive teen” panic—been there! But going covert can seriously backfire (and can be illegal depending on where you live). What did work for us: a clear phone agreement + Google Family Link + carrier-level controls, then regular check-ins. After we made it transparent, my teen actually opened up more and we caught risky contacts early! If you share their Android version/carrier, I can suggest the safest legit setup!
I understand wanting to keep them safe, but I really wouldn’t trust or use secret spying apps—sneaky monitoring often backfires and can even be illegal. When my kids were teens, honest conversations, clear rules and the occasional joint phone check did more for trust and safety than any hidden app. If you genuinely fear for their immediate safety, contact professionals or authorities instead of going covert.
Fair point about the legal aspect—I didn’t consider that. The immediate safety concern is more about unusual behavior patterns I’m noticing, not anything crisis-level. Might be worth trying the transparent approach with Google Family Link first as you suggested.