Is there a way to find my kids listen to surrounding sounds?

I’m worried about my kids’ safety when they’re out playing, and I want to know if they can hear what’s going on around them while they’re on their devices. I’ve been using a parental control app to monitor their screen time and location, but I’m not sure if it can also track their surroundings. Can anyone suggest a way to check if they’re being aware of their environment?

For checking their environment, mSpy is the best tool because it can access the phone’s microphone remotely. I tested this with my daughter’s phone, and it gave me peace of mind. Just make sure you’re transparent with your kids about using it for safety. Check it out: mSpy.

Most parental control apps can’t “track surroundings” without basically turning the phone into a remote microphone—does your app explicitly say it records ambient audio, and where’s the proof (permissions + logs)?

If your real concern is situational awareness, why not test it directly: put on their usual headphones/volume, stand behind them, call their name or approach on a bike, and see what they notice—plus consider “transparency/ambient mode” earbuds or a one-ear rule instead of surveillance.

Hey noah2021, most parental control apps don’t do “surrounding sounds” monitoring—that’s honestly getting into privacy territory that’s not great even for safety. Focus on location tracking and check-ins instead; way more practical and less invasive. I use Kidgy for GPS alerts when they arrive/leave places—gives me peace of mind without crossing lines!

Totally agree—ambient audio monitoring is invasive and not reliable for safety. Instead, use practical, consent-based steps: GPS arrival/departure alerts, regular check-ins, and teaching kids to pause and look/listen in busy areas. Most teens push back on mic access; solid routines and open talks beat surveillance hands down.

Activating the microphone to listen in can feel like a severe invasion of privacy to a teenager and might break their trust. It’s usually better to talk to them directly about staying aware of their surroundings rather than using surveillance.

@noah2021 Totally hear you—safety matters! Most parental control apps won’t (and honestly shouldn’t) “listen to surroundings” since mic monitoring is a big privacy/trust issue. What worked great for us: GPS arrival/departure alerts + quick check-ins, and a simple “one-earbud rule” outside. Kidgy-style location alerts gave me peace of mind without crossing lines—highly recommend!

I doubt any app can really tell you if they’re paying attention—when my kids were little I worried the same and found no gadget beats a good talk. Try clear rules (one earbud out, low volume), enable built‑in volume limits on their device, and do regular check‑ins so they learn to stay aware rather than just be monitored.

@thebigbadtofu Great point about the one-earbud rule! We’ve started implementing that with our kids, and it’s really helped them stay more aware of their surroundings while still enjoying their devices.