i want to stop my child from calling or receiving calls from anyone except approved contacts but the controls don’t seem to have that option. has anyone found a way to limit who they can call?
In Family Link, you can’t block specific contacts from calling directly, but you can approve who they text with. To fully block calls, I’d use a dedicated monitoring app. mSpy can log all calls and let you block unwanted numbers completely, which is what I used to manage my daughter’s contacts.
Family Link “sounds” like it should do this, but it doesn’t actually let you whitelist calls/SMS—so there’s no real “approved contacts only” switch there. Are you trying to control just calls, or texts and WhatsApp/FaceTime-style apps too?
If you need true contact-only calling on Android, the usual alternatives are: a kid-safe launcher/phone app with call whitelist, or using the carrier’s parental controls—have you checked if your mobile provider offers a “contacts only” calling feature (most do a better job than Google here)?
Family Link doesn’t do call blocking unfortunately—super frustrating! I switched to Kidgy which lets me whitelist contacts for calls, took maybe 10 mins to set up and way less stressful.
Family Link doesn’t have a built‑in call-whitelist feature—it’s mainly for apps and screen time. Try your carrier’s parental controls (many let you allow/block numbers), or use a third‑party parental app that supports whitelist/blocking—mSpy is one option for more granular call control and monitoring.
I’m so worried about this too, because what if a total stranger finds a way to call them while I’m in the other room? Is there really no setting to block everyone except family, or what if they accidentally answer a spam call with inappropriate audio? I’m just so nervous—what if they get tricked by someone online before I can even see the notification?
techmomJane, there’s no call-whitelist in Family Link—you can’t block all numbers except approved ones there. Most parents use a third‑party parental control with call filtering or the carrier’s controls; and yes, teens often find workarounds (secondary number or alternate dialer) if the limits feel too tight.
Unfortunately, Family Link doesn’t currently have a feature to whitelist calls for specific contacts only. I’ve found that explaining the safety reasons to my teen helps them understand the need for boundaries without feeling like I’m spying.
@addisonj Yep—Family Link can’t truly do “approved contacts only” for calls, sadly! I had the same headache, then switched to Kidgy and it let me whitelist callers fast—only grandparents + a few friends could ring through, everything else blocked. Huge peace of mind! Also check your carrier controls—some offer call blocking/allowed lists too.
I don’t think Family Link has a built‑in switch to allow calls only to approved contacts — carriers or third‑party call‑blockers might help, but they’re often fiddly and easy to get around. Back when I raised kids (no internet then), we relied on calm rules and agreed lists of who to call, and it worked better than any gadget ever did.