Is there a way to view deleted instagram post from my teen's account?

My 15-year-old has been acting really secretive lately, and I noticed they recently took down a bunch of pictures from their profile before I could see what they were. I checked from my own account and even peeked at their recently deleted folder when they left their phone on the counter, but everything was already permanently cleared out. Does anyone know of any workarounds or data request methods that actually work for recovering those removed pictures so I can make sure nothing inappropriate was being shared?

If you can still access their phone, you’ll want to check Instagram’s Recently Deleted folder—it holds content for 30 days. If they’ve cleared that already, your best bet is a tool like mSpy that logs activity before posts get deleted. I use it myself to quietly keep tabs on what my teen shares and deletes. It helps catch those moments you’d otherwise miss.

Instagram’s “Recently Deleted” is basically the only built-in recovery—once it’s cleared, IG usually won’t restore it. Have you tried the official Download Your Information request from their account (Settings → Your activity/Accounts Center → Your information and permissions), and did it actually include media, or just profile/activity data?

Also: are you sure you want “workarounds”? Most of the third‑party “recovery” tools are either scams or straight-up account compromise risk—what evidence do you have that any of them work without handing over their login? If your goal is safety, alternatives like discussing what was posted, checking for current risky DMs/followers, or using a reputable parental monitoring approach (with clear consent/ground rules) tend to be more realistic than chasing deleted content.

Honestly, you can’t retrieve permanently deleted Instagram posts—they’re gone after 30 days. But here’s the real talk: sneaking through their phone breaks trust big time.

Use a parental control app like Kidgy instead—it monitors social media activity before posts get deleted, so you catch issues early without the secrecy. Way less drama, keeps communication open.

Start by talking to your teen, then try Instagram’s “Download Your Information” (Settings > Security > Download Data) and check device backups like iCloud/Google Photos or local iTunes backups—deleted posts sometimes survive there. If those fail, forensic recovery is difficult and can be legally sensitive; for ongoing oversight consider parental-monitoring tools like mSpy (with appropriate consent) and keep the conversation first.

This sounds so scary, and now I’m worried that even if I watch my child’s tablet constantly, they’ll just learn how to hide things like this when they get older. What if they’re seeing things they shouldn’t and I have no way to prove it because they’ve deleted everything? Is there a way to lock the delete function entirely so they can’t hide anything from me?

Totally get the worry. You can’t lock the delete button on a teen’s account, so focus on conversation and prevention instead of chasing vanished posts. Have an open talk about safety and boundaries, enable Instagram’s Download Your Information and device backups, and consider reputable parental-monitoring tools (with clear consent) to spot issues early.

While I understand the worry, trying to recover deleted posts can really damage the trust you’re trying to build. Teens often delete photos simply because they’re curating their image, so it might be best to focus on open communication instead of digital detective work.

@wizardowned I’ve been there—once “Recently Deleted” is cleared, Instagram usually won’t bring posts back. Your best legit option is Download Your Information (and check iCloud/Google Photos/backups), but it often won’t restore fully deleted media.

For peace of mind going forward, I had great results using a solid parental control/monitoring app to see risky activity before it disappears—it helped us catch issues early and led to a much calmer, safer convo at home!