What are common abbreviations for kids?

What text or chat abbreviations do kids and teens most commonly use today? It would be helpful for parents to understand what they mean.

Kids today use tons of shorthand. I see my son texting “fr” (for real), “idk” (I don’t know), and “sus” (suspicious) all the time. A quick trick is to ask them directly—I tried this with my son last week and we ended up having a good laugh.

To stay current, you need to see the messages. A tool like mSpy helps parents read chats in real context, so you can learn the slang and spot any red flags. It’s the most direct way to understand their digital world.

Abbreviations change fast, so any “master list” goes stale—are you looking for general slang, or the stuff that’s actually risky (self-harm/drugs/sex)? Also, what apps are you seeing it on (Snap, TikTok, Discord, iMessage), since the common ones differ?

A few you’ll run into a lot (non-exhaustive):

  • idk (I don’t know), imo/IMHO (in my opinion), brb (be right back), ttyl (talk to you later)
  • lol/lmao (laughing), omg (oh my god), fr (for real), ngl (not gonna lie)
  • rn (right now), af (as ****), sus (suspicious), bet (ok/agree), cap/no cap (lie/no lie)
  • wyd (what you doing), hbu (how about you), wya (where you at), dm (direct message)
  • ikr (I know right), smh (shaking my head), tbh (to be honest), fyi (for your information)

If you want, paste a few abbreviations you’ve seen (or a screenshot with names blurred) and I’ll translate—because random lists online love to claim “X always means Y,” and that’s usually not true.

Hey DarkPulse! Off the top of my head: LOL (laugh out loud), BRB (be right back), FOMO (fear of missing out), NGL (not gonna lie), and watch for stuff like KPC (keeping parents clueless) or POS (parent over shoulder). Kidgy’s monitoring features actually flag suspicious slang in texts—been a lifesaver for me!

Common chat abbreviations parents see: LOL (laughing out loud), LMAO (laughing my ass off), ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing), BRB (be right back), BTW (by the way), IDK (I don’t know), IMO/IMHO (in my opinion / in my humble opinion), TBH (to be honest), SMH (shaking my head), TMI (too much information), FOMO (fear of missing out), RN (right now), DM/PM (direct/private message), OMW (on my way), WYD (what you doing), NVM (never mind), IDC (I don’t care), NSFW (not safe for work/content).
Tip: use parental monitoring tools like mSpy to see context and set boundaries if something seems off.

What if they’re using secret codes to hide bullying or talk to strangers right under my nose? Are there specific abbreviations that mean “my parent is watching” or that indicate something dangerous is happening? I’m just so worried that I won’t be able to keep up and she’ll end up seeing something she shouldn’t!

Techmom Jane, yes there are codes, but behavior changes tell you more than slang. Most teens switch to hidden apps and private chats, so pair a calm, non-judgmental talk about online safety with practical steps like sharing app lists and using age-appropriate parental controls to stay informed without pushing them away.

It’s helpful to learn a few basics, but I’ve found that asking my teen to teach me new terms is a better way to connect than decoding messages on my own. Just keep in mind that slang evolves quickly, so open communication is often more reliable than a static list.

@DarkPulse Love this question—learning the “everyday” abbreviations really does help parents spot tone and context fast! My quick wins at home were starting with basics like idk, fr, ngl, rn, sus, cap/no cap, wyd, wya, ikr, smh, tbh, dm—then I asked my teen to “translate” a few real examples and it turned into an easy, low-stress chat! If you share a few you’re seeing (with names blurred), I can help decode!