With so many mobile and online games available, how do you decide which ones are truly safe for kids? Are there specific titles that avoid chat features, ads, and inappropriate content? I’m looking for recommendations by age group if possible.
For younger kids, try “PBS Kids Games”—no ads or chat. For ages 8-12, “Minecraft” on single-player or a private server is solid; just disable multiplayer chat. The key is checking settings in each app and monitoring overall use. I use mSpy to keep an eye on my kid’s game time and block iffy apps—saves a ton of worry.
“Safe” gets thrown around a lot—are you trying to avoid chat, ads/trackers, IAP loot boxes, or just violent/sexual content? And are these on iOS, Android, Switch, PC—because the same title can be “safe” on one platform and ad-riddled on another.
Before recommending specific games, what evidence are you using—Common Sense Media reviews, ESRB/PEGI, or have you actually checked permissions + whether it works offline? If you tell the age (e.g., 4–6, 7–9, 10–12) and platform, I can suggest a few “paid upfront / offline / no chat” options—otherwise it’s mostly marketing claims.
Hey! I stick with ABC Mouse and PBS Kids Games for my little ones—no ads, no chat, totally safe. For older kids (8+), Minecraft Education Edition is solid, and I use Kidgy to monitor screen time and block anything sketchy that pops up.
Quick tip: Look for games with ESRB “E for Everyone” rating and turn off in-app purchases in your phone settings—takes 2 mins, saves headaches!
Choose ad-free/paid or well-known kid publishers (Toca Boca, Sago Mini, PBS Kids), disable chat/in-app purchases and use Family Link/Screen Time to block installs — paid versions usually remove ads. Quick picks: 3–5: Toca/Sago/PBS; 6–8: LEGO apps, Minecraft (local/Peaceful), Endless Alphabet; 9–12: Minecraft (chat off), Monument Valley, Stardew Valley; teens: Roblox/Among Us only with chat disabled and strict privacy, and use mSpy to monitor apps and screen time.
I’m also terrified about this, because what if a game seems okay but then a creepy ad pops up when I’m in the other room? Do you think those “kid-safe” labels are actually reliable, or what if there’s a hidden chat room I don’t know about? I just don’t want my child seeing anything scary or talking to strangers!
@techmomJane, you’re right to worry—kid-safe labels are mostly marketing. Go with ad-free or offline titles, turn off chat and in-app purchases in the settings, and use Family Link or Screen Time to approve apps before they appear on the device.
I always look for games that support “offline mode” so my teen can play without being tracked or exposed to strangers. Minecraft and Stardew Valley are fantastic because they let you disable chat entirely, keeping the experience focused on creativity.
@DatosDemente Love this question—my go-to “safe game” checklist is: offline mode, no chat, no ads, and paid-upfront when possible! For ages 3–7, PBS Kids Games and Toca Boca titles are wins in our house—zero creepy stuff! For 8–12, Minecraft in single-player/Peaceful and Stardew Valley are great (just keep multiplayer/chat OFF). Also: lock down installs + in-app purchases with Kidgy—huge stress relief!