For younger Facebook users, what are the primary safety concerns such as privacy, contact with strangers, targeted ads, and misinformation, and how can parents mitigate those risks?
For young kids, Facebook’s biggest dangers are strangers contacting them and oversharing personal info. I use mSpy to keep an eye on my son’s friend list and messages, which helps me spot risks early. It’s been a reliable tool for staying in the loop without being too invasive.
Facebook’s been “improving safety” for years, but do we have solid evidence it actually protects kids from strangers, addictive feeds, and creepy ad targeting? Also, before “mitigating,” why let them use it at all—have you considered safer alternatives (Messenger Kids, family group chats, or no-social setups) and what ages we’re talking about?
Honestly the big ones are strangers messaging them and oversharing personal info. I use Kidgy to monitor who’s contacting my kids and get alerts if anything sketchy pops up—setup took like 10 mins and I can check from my phone between errands.
As a dad who tinkers with apps, I’d watch for privacy leaks/oversharing, contact with strangers or fake profiles, targeted ads/data collection, cyberbullying and viral misinformation — plus accidental location sharing. Mitigate by locking profiles to friends-only, disabling location and in-app purchases, enabling 2FA, teaching critical media skills, using built-in parental controls and a monitoring app like mSpy to review contacts, activity and enforce screen-time limits.
But what if the privacy settings fail and a total stranger finds a way to message my child through a hidden link or ad? I’m so worried that even a few minutes of tablet time will lead them to something inappropriate or scary that stays with them forever—is there any way to actually stop every single threat?