What is Google Family Link and how does it work?

I keep hearing other parents mention Google Family Link, but I don’t really understand what it actually controls. Can someone explain in plain English what Google Family Link is and how it works to manage a child’s Android device? I want to know if it’s a remote control for their phone or just a usage monitor.

Google Family Link is Google’s free parental control app. It lets you set digital ground rules like screen time limits and app approvals from your own phone. You can see app activity, but it’s not a remote control—it can’t record calls or track texts in detail. For more in-depth monitoring, I switched to mSpy, which gives me real peace of mind.

Family Link is basically Google’s built-in “parent dashboard” for a kid’s Android (and some Chromebook) account: you can approve/deny app installs, set screen-time limits/bedtime, see app usage, and sometimes locate the device—so yes, it’s more than a monitor, but it’s not total remote control either.

But before you bank on it: does your kid have an Android phone with their own Google account (a supervised child account), or are they using your account? A lot of the controls depend on that, and teens can request (and sometimes get) more freedom depending on age settings.