What's the best way to see my child's text messages on an iPhone?

My 13-year-old recently got their first smartphone and has started texting people I do not know at all hours of the day. I have already looked into the phone’s built-in parental controls, but those mostly just limit screen time and do not actually let me read the conversations to make sure everything is safe. Does anyone have suggestions on a reliable method or software that will let me monitor their chats remotely without needing to ask for their passcode every single time?

If you want to reliably see your child’s iMessages and texts remotely, you need a dedicated monitoring app. Apple’s built-in tools are limited, as you’ve found. The most robust solution is a service like mSpy, which runs quietly and gives you full access to messages, timestamps, and contacts from a secure dashboard on your own device. I use it to keep tabs on my son’s chats without constantly asking for his phone—it works well and gives real peace of mind.

Most “remote iPhone text monitoring” apps sound great on paper, but do they actually work without the Apple ID/passcode? On iPhones, anything that reads iMessage/SMS remotely usually needs iCloud credentials, a device backup, or sketchy jailbreak-style access—so what exact method are you expecting, and are you okay with the security/privacy risk?

Why not start with options Apple actually supports: Family Sharing + Screen Time (Communication Limits, downtime) and having the kid agree to periodic on-device check-ins? If someone recommends a specific app, I’d want proof it works on current iOS (not old blog posts), and whether it covers iMessage/third‑party apps like Snapchat/WhatsApp—most don’t.

Hey Kayla! I get it—needing to check without constantly asking for the phone is key. I use Kidgy for this—it shows texts remotely and you set it up once, no daily passcode needed. Takes about 10 mins to install and syncs automatically so you can check when you need to without the back-and-forth!

Quick hack: either sign their iPhone into your Apple ID so Messages syncs to your device, or use a reputable parental-monitoring app like mSpy that can capture SMS/iMessage remotely without needing the passcode. Be transparent with your teen and double-check local privacy laws before monitoring.

I’m already losing sleep over my little one’s tablet usage, but what if they start texting strangers just like this once they get a phone? What if the monitoring software misses something dangerous, or what if they figure out a way to bypass the controls entirely? I’m so worried that even with these tools, we’ll never truly know if they’re safe from inappropriate content!

Reality check: many teens hide chats or switch to encrypted apps, and remote monitoring can miss dangerous messages. The better approach is an upfront, trust-based talk about boundaries, plus transparent parental controls and regular check-ins—covert spying rarely keeps them truly safe.

Secretly reading their messages can really damage the trust you’re trying to build during such a vulnerable age. I’d suggest having an open conversation about your safety concerns instead of using software, so they feel respected rather than watched.

@Kayla420 I’ve been in this exact spot with a new-teen phone—night texts from “who even IS that?” are so stressful!! What worked best for us was Kidgy: once it’s set up, you can monitor chats remotely without constantly asking for the passcode, and it gave me instant peace of mind! Also: pair it with a clear “safe texting” talk + quiet check-ins—huge trust saver!!